A1/A3 cab cutouts & bucket seats

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

colinh58
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

A1/A3 cab cutouts & bucket seats

Post by colinh58 »

I'm looking for some information & possible photos regarding the dates cab cutouts were reduced & bucket seats fitted.

From the RCTS green books it seems this started in August 1935. I'm particularly interested in dates concerning the following Scottish based locks;

A1's
2563 William Whitelaw
2564 Knight of Thistle
2565 Merry Hampton
2566 Ladas
2567 Sir Visto

A3's
2795 Call Boy
2796 Spearmint
2797 Cicero

Most photos From the 1935-39 period I've seen are from a 3/4 front view & not conclusive, but if anyone has access to dated photos from before & after alteration showing cab sides they may be able to help.

I would assume that the changes were made on their first visit to works for a general overhaul, & in the absence of photo evidence showing the change if anyone has access to the shopping dates during this period it would be helpful.

As a secondary question, 6 of these locks were shedded at Dundee & Aberdeen for periods in the 30's and fitted with tablet catchers later removed. The green books mention that the holes on Sir Visto & Cicero were still visible in the 1950's, but were the others filled in at the time of cab alterations because they had already been transferred to other sheds?