NER Bogie Coal Hopper Diagrams

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Clock O' the North
LNER N2 0-6-2T

NER Bogie Coal Hopper Diagrams

Post by Clock O' the North »

Hello
Just a quick question, does anyone have access to drawings/diagrams of the NER bogie coal hoppers that ran from Blyth Docks? I'm asking as I'm looking to design a 3d printable version of these for my own purposes.
Thanks CotN
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NER Bogie Coal Hopper Diagrams

Post by Hatfield Shed »

There's a couple of photos only in LNER wagons volume 4A. It mentions that these wagons were to NER diagram P19, so is it possible they are included in volume 2?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

One photo and drawing in Vol 2.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

NERA publish diagrams of NER wagons. Volume 1 page 40 has diagrams of both the Darlington Wagon and Leeds Forge batches. Tallow Volume 2 page 61 has more data, and a photograph of the Darlington Wagon design. A more detail drawing is on page 62. Tallow Vol 4A page 88 has a picture of the later Leeds Forge design acquired in 1923.

I am particularly interested in whether any of these wagons were used elsewhere than on Ashington - Blyth traffic. I once met an elderly gentleman who suggested that they might have been used on iron ore traffic to Consent (which ran from the 1880s onwards so must have involved a lot of heavy haulage well before the days of 9Fs and 56 ton hoppers - or even the LNER/MOT 21 ton steel hoppers.)
Clock O' the North
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Clock O' the North »

Hello
I don't have access to the books listed but I have come up with some photos of the wagons after an accident, Some of the very few photos I have found.
Here's the link to them: http://www.freerails.com/view_topic.php ... orum_id=43
CotN
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I have a number of GA drawings for all 3 types of NER 40ton bogie hoppers.

Dia P15 Leeds Forge 1903 build GA and Bogie GA.
Dia P14 Sheffield Twinberrow GA
Dia P19 Leeds Forge

If you would like copies please pm me your email and I will send them.
I like these wagons and was going to make some models......one day.

By the way the bogie hopper in the photo on the link you provided is a Leeds Forge Dia P19
billdonald
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by billdonald »

A poster was asking about usage of this stock. Although I gave no photographic or documentary evidence to support this, I would suggest that these wagons were used on the Tyneside power station traffic.

The Newcastle upon Tyne Electric Supply Company (BESCO) signed several contracts for large quabtites of coal from the Ashington Coal Company, The two NESCO power stations concerned - Carville (1904) and Dunston (1910) were designed with handling facilities that could deal with these wagon. (Source: NESCO monthly directors board reports - authors collection)

I have to add that if this is true, the small electric locomotives operated by NESCO must have performed heroic feats of haulage with these 40 ton wagons. See Industrial Locomotives of Northumberland (Industrial Railway Society) for details and a photo of these diminutive locomotives. Sadly this publication is long out of print.

Bill Donald
Dublin, Ireland
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks Bill, thats an interesting thought, I always wondered where they were used as most mines in those days would not accommodate wagons of that size.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Drawings now sent to all who asked for them, enjoy and lets see lots of models.
Dixie
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Dixie »

If not too late, could you please send me a copy of the three GAs referred to in your note of 12th August. I have the 1904 NER Diagram Book but would welcome a better quality drawings. Many thanks.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

No problem, pm me your email address.
Anyone else ?.
Dixie
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Dixie »

If it is not too late, I should like to have a copy of each of the bogie hopper wagons drawings. Whilst I have the 1904 NER Wagon Diagram Book, the drawings lack the sort of detail I am looking for. Many thanks
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Dixie.
PM me your email address.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

What a marvelous forum this is. Thank you Dave for the drawings, and your time in preparing them.

I was wondering whether there was a relationship between the fishbellied solebars on the the P19 coal wagon and the D7 exWD bogie bolster also built by Leeds Forge. Now I know that the hopper is 1'4" longer over headstocks - as well as being wider.

I still wonder whether the Parkside kit for the D7 might prove useful!

A few evenings are required to ponder this further.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you drmditch, you are right this is a marvellous forum.

What an interesting idea regarding the the exWD wagon....I never thought about the sides. I have an old one lying around......

Dixie I need your email address.