A book about Papyrus

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: A book about Papyrus

Post by Solario »

As promised, I have had a look through some books and found references to Bill Sparshatt.

The most comprehensive is in a book called "British Pacific Locomotives" by Cecil J Allen, published by Ian Allan.

Allen was on the two trains which were run as preliminary tests prior to the building of the A4 Pacifics and the running of the "Silver Jubilee" service between Kings Cross and Newcastle. He kept his own timing records but also had access to the dynamometer car readings which were as accurate as anything could be in those days.

In the first run Bill was driving A1 "Flying Scotsman" on a return trip from Kings X to Leeds. On the return leg, the train exceeded 100mph, which was the first authenticated 100 in the UK. On the second run, with A3 "Papyrus", Bill drove from Newcastle to Kings X and a maximum of 108 mph was achieved. It is worth reading about these runs because not only were high mph speeds achieved, high point-to-point speeds led to various records being broken.

I have found Bill's name mentioned elsewhere but with similar references to these two runs, so CJ Allen is probably the definitive author.

There are probably other references which I have either not found or am not aware of. I daresay that anyone looking through copies of the "Railway Magazine" published during the 1930's will come across his name.
Sparshott_Researcher
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Sparshott_Researcher »

Christina

There is a short Pathe film of Papyrus, with Driver Sparshatt talking, available on the web. The free version is without sound.

Peter
brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by brsince78 »

For those of you on this forum that are still searching for a copy of Harry Webster's book on Papyrus, Abebooks has notified me of two copies in the last month. I bought the first one that appeared and they have just e-mailed to let me know of a second copy.....

I have pasted the relevant text below if you are seeking a copy.

David

================================================================

Great news - we've found the book you're looking for.

Your Want: # A504432414
Author: Webster;
Title: 2750 Legend Of A Locomotive;
Published Date: 1953 to ;

The lowest and highest priced listings that match your want are displayed below.

1. 2750: legend of a locomotive . Illustrated by R. Barnard Way,
Henry Charles Webster
Thomas Nelson and Sons Ltd, 1953, Hardcover, , 209 pages. First edition with clean pages and firm binding. Ex-library with the usual stamps and inserts. Green cloth cover with black lettering to spine has minimal edge-wear but has a quite a lot of brown staining. Sunning to spine.
Bookseller: World of Rare Books, Goring by Sea, WSus
Price: £ 17.00

View or Order this Book:
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Listi ... e=viewbook
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Fiddlesticks! Thats another one I've missed....now asked to be altered on abe books too!

Every Railway second hand book shop I've been to either haven't had it for a while...or have never heard of it! :oops:
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
GrandParade
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by GrandParade »

Silly prices indeed for the book - one copy today at £627 on Amazon.

But the National Library of Scotland has a copy for consultation, as no doubt do the other five UK Legal Deposit Libraries. I'm re-reading it with great pleasure - what sets it apart is the quality of the writing, about the men as well as the machine.
GWR - Gresley was Right!
John Broadley
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by John Broadley »

I am trying to find living descendents of Henry Charles Webster who wrote the book "2750 - Legend of a Locomotive" - any help much appreciated.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

GrandParade wrote:Silly prices indeed for the book - one copy today at £627 on Amazon.

But the National Library of Scotland has a copy for consultation, as no doubt do the other five UK Legal Deposit Libraries. I'm re-reading it with great pleasure - what sets it apart is the quality of the writing, about the men as well as the machine.
Any idea if the book's been digitised for an online read?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Who owns the copyright? Perhaps it is ripe for a new printing?
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

I read 2750 "Legend of a Locomotive" as a boy. I wonder if anyone has made the connection between H.C.Webster the author and fireman Webster who fired to Bill Sparshatt on 30th November 1934 on 4472 (in original A1 form) on the trial trip from King's Cross to Leeds and back where 4472 reached the magic 100mph. It's my guess that he might be one and the same person.

My understanding of H.C.Webster was that he became a locomotive superintendent and in the book he mentions living in a house within the grounds of the loco depot (top shed). I can remember such a building still standing until the depot was demolished.

It was common that footplate men who showed promise would be promoted to supervisory positions, hence Fireman Wightman who fired to Harry Gutteridge on 2750 in March 1935 on a trial trip, was a running foreman at Top Shed when I started, as was Jack Luty who fired to Arthur Taylor on the famous Silver Jubilee trip in September 1935 on 2509 Silver Link.

I don't know how H.C.Webster finished his railway career but the book he wrote inspired me to join the footplate.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I wonder if anyone has made the connection between H.C.Webster the author and fireman Webster who fired to Bill Sparshatt on 30th November 1934 on 4472 (in original A1 form) on the trial trip from King's Cross to Leeds and back where 4472 reached the magic 100mph. It's my guess that he might be one and the same person.
According to several sources fireman Webster's initial was R. A relation possibly?

R Webster fired both ways to Leeds with 4472, he also did the Up trip with Sparshatt on 2750 in March 1935.

John
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

John, I stand corrected, I've just found a contemporary report of the Newcastle trial trip with 2750 in the LNER Magazine for 1935 which also contains pictures of both crews and also a photo of 2750. Fireman Webster did have the initial R, so obviously not the author !
H.C.Webster is a bit of a mystery though, I think he was mentioned at some point in the LNER magazine which is probably where I picked up him being a Locomotive Superintendent. It would be interesting to do a bit of investigation and see if any more information comes to light.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Hermit 109 wrote:H.C.Webster is a bit of a mystery though, I think he was mentioned at some point in the LNER magazine which is probably where I picked up him being a Locomotive Superintendent. It would be interesting to do a bit of investigation and see if any more information comes to light.
Agreed 'Hermit 109' HCW's background would be of interest.

John
John Broadley
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by John Broadley »

I visited the NRM today and was shown 3 books by H C Webster. He was a graduate BSc of London University but whether via an affiliated College, as Hull University originally was and several others, is not mentioned. He also was a Member of the Institute of Loco Engineers (no surprise there) so there are two lines of enquiry via Alumni of L.U. and past members of the I.Loco.E.

In the LNER Staff Magazine I found a mention dated 1927 about a meeting at which H C Webster seconded a vote of thanks to the speaker at the Lowestoft Branch. H.C.W. was then employed at Lowestoft by the LNER.

As for a digitised verion of 2750 ... I've just finished producing one as a PDF which is complete (all Chapters) plus all illustrations, including the colour plate, by R B Way - whose great-grand-daughter I'm in touch with. Clearly there is a copyright issue here so I'm not offering it to anybody until this is resolved, apart from the lady's mother who appears to be the copyright holder of the illustrations.

Any further research will be most appreciated as this is clearly a topic of some interest.

John Broadley :D :D
John Broadley
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by John Broadley »

The book "2750 LEGEND OF A LOCOMOTIVE" by H C Webster, originally published by Nelson in 1953 is about to be re-published in hard back by John Broadley. Copies should be available by June 2016.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Please keep us updated as to progress.