A book about Papyrus

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A book about Papyrus

Post by 52D »

jwealleans wrote:Please keep us updated as to progress.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
John Broadley
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by John Broadley »

A facsimile republication of "2750 Legend of a Locomotive" by H C Webster illus. R B way in hardback with original sleeve painting is now available (August 7th, 2016) from John Broadley, 13, Blenheim Street, HULL HU5 3PR price £19.99 + £3.50 p&p. https://2750legendofalocomotiveweb.wordpress.com/ to order by PayPal
patmyhill
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by patmyhill »

John (Broadley)

Congratulations on republishing 2750, you have done a lot of people a great service. The very best of luck with it.

I'm afraid I'm not in the market though as both I and my daughter have originals, I first read 2750 at about the age of 8 and it stayed with me to become one of my daughters bedtime stories at the same age!

I actually lent my copy to Oxford Press years ago, suggesting they might consider republishing it and also suggested to Simon Kohler that a special Hornby pack of book and loco should be very marketable, neither were interested and I do find Hornby's choice of locos to model quite bizarre at times, 2750 is such an obvious one to release.

In researching the copyright did you discover any more about Harry Webster? He wrote two technical books on shed and loco management together with a 'world's railways type book and a very nice 'Introduction to the Locomotive' in landscape format with illustrations of an A3. I have the 2 former and latter.

He also wrote an article in T I Annual, c 1960 about early days with the A4s at Kings X, echoing his sentiments about the humpbacked grey monster!

In that article he mentions living in the house at Top Shed and Peter Townend indicates it was occupied by the ADMPS in the thirties. So that's probably who and what Harry was - what a story he could have told. If only railway autobiographies had been more in vogue in the fifties, especially as he could write well. I can send you a scan of that article if you wish.

There is a mention of HC Webster ( I think a photo caption) in the Garraways book but when i asked him, Alan couldn't remember Harry, who was surely a contemporary of his father.

Finally, are you the John Broadley I was friendly with at Beverley Grammar School c 1962/3?

regards and best of luck with the book

Pat
John Broadley
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by John Broadley »

Hi Patrick,

My, how much water has flowed under the bridge since we last met at Beverley Grammar School in 1962.

Finding the copyright owners of "2750 . . . " (there are two, one each for story and pictures), was not easy but I succeeded in the end by the loan of a client's 'Ancestry' account log-in, a modicum of common-sense and sheer luck.

I found out quite a lot about Harry Webster, including that he was an external BSc.(Lond.) and the author of six books including the ones you mention of which three are in the NRM library, including "2750 . . ." minus paper sleeve as are all the copyright library examples in the U.K.

A biography of H C Webster is in course of preparation by Dorrienne Roughley, whose mother nursed him in his old age, and she has amassed a great deal of information about him, his life and times which will, no doubt be published one of these days but not by me as I have a hard enough job shifting thousands of copies of the novel about "PAPYRUS" and her crew, Mr Smedley et al.

I have been invited to the B.G.S.O.B.A. dinner this November by Lt/Cdr W A Sadler R.N.(Ret.) so maybe I'll see you there. If not have a good life and feel free to visit http://legendofalocomotiveweb.wordpress.com so you can order a copy of the new edition. Believe me, if you think owning original copies is enough, you are probably mistaken - the new edition is better in every way than a 1st Edition and includes a factual correction that even Harry Webster missed when he proof-read his own work but you will never know what it is unless you read the new edition with great care. It is a facsimile as far as I can make it so.

regards,

John Broadley (Publisher)
"2750 Legend of a Locomotive" by Harry Webster & R Barnard Way (2nd Edition)
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi John,
Your last quoted site address is incorrect - missing the 2750.

regards
Kimball
18 Ferns
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by 18 Ferns »

Hi Kimball,
I have emailed John Broadley and told him he must be getting gold for omitting "2750".

I finished reading an advance copy of "2750" several weeks ago and it was a great read. It gives you an insight to the skills of both the Engine Driver and the of the Fireman. It also highlights the social structures of the 1930s. I have a list of the books published by HC Webster if anyone wants them. I have several copies of the book available for purchase. I am based in Sydney so postage would be a little less than from the UK.

Email and full details available
Regards,

18 Ferns
John Broadley
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by John Broadley »

Sorry, I omitted '2750' from the web address of my website which should read as follows /;-

https://2750legendofalocomotiveweb.wordpress.com/

Many thanks to the sharp-eyed member from Queensland. Do I have your order for a copy?

John Broadley
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

18 Ferns wrote:Hi Kimball,
... I have a list of the books published by HC Webster if anyone wants them. I have several copies of the book available for purchase. I am based in Sydney so postage would be a little less than from the UK. Email and full details available
Regards,
18 Ferns
Hi John,
Thanks for the reply. I have sent a PM for details on a purchase, will definitely buy one, as I have not seen a copy for nigh on 60 years.
Great to hear from you.

regards
Kimball
patmyhill
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by patmyhill »

Hi John

A small world indeed! But good to make contact after all these years.

I'm convinced, I've just ordered a copy. How do I add a review to the book sale site?

I was delighted to hear that there may be a forthcoming biography of Harry. Please do encourage Darrienne Roughley to complete and publish.

I wonder if it's possible through the LNER Encyclopedia to generate an 'order list' and maybe some sponsors to provide encouragement and some market research.

To that end, perhaps anyone interested in what must be a fascinating story might post that interest.

Have you sent review copies of 2750 to the leading magazines?

I recall Bill Sadler too - shaving his head for a bet! I doubt I'd make the dinner, never bothered with the OBA.

regards

Pat
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

John and all,
I wish to record publicly my appreciation of the work John Broadley has done in the publication of the second edition of 2750.
In expectation of a soft-cover version in this day and age, I was delighted to receive a book that seemed in all manner the same as the one I last touched almost 60 years ago.
The hard cover was a surprise, as was the colour of the boards and binding, and if I am not mistaken, the same green as the original.
For the life of me, I had no memory of the scintillating line drawings with which the book is peppered.
After superficial perusal of the contents, I can see why I was so enthralled at the age of 14.

The chapter on the Fusible Plug has stayed the most fresh in my mind, as it evokes so much across life, in dealing with error, mishap and authority.

I also wish to acknowledge the current copy-right holders, without whose cooperation the work would not have seen light of day.

regards
Kimball Thurlow in Brisbane
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

kimballthurlow wrote:John and all,
I wish to record publicly my appreciation of the work John Broadley has done in the publication of the second edition of 2750.
In expectation of a soft-cover version in this day and age, I was delighted to receive a book that seemed in all manner the same as the one I last touched almost 60 years ago.
The hard cover was a surprise, as was the colour of the boards and binding, and if I am not mistaken, the same green as the original.
For the life of me, I had no memory of the scintillating line drawings with which the book is peppered.
After superficial perusal of the contents, I can see why I was so enthralled at the age of 14.

The chapter on the Fusible Plug has stayed the most fresh in my mind, as it evokes so much across life, in dealing with error, mishap and authority.

I also wish to acknowledge the current copy-right holders, without whose cooperation the work would not have seen light of day.

regards
Kimball Thurlow in Brisbane
Kimball you are correct in everything you mention in your post. Acknowledgement of John Broadley & the copyright holders credit given to all three.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Muzza
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Muzza »

I've just ordered my copy.
Another one on its way to Queensland.
Muzza
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Muzza »

The book has arrived and I am thouroughly enjoying reading it.
I wish I had read it about 40 years ago.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Got my copy. Superb work.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Received my copy on Thursdays and read it over the past couple of evenings. Although the names and situations are fictional (the author owns up to this on the first page)it was a pretty good story. I've handed it to my 11 year old as I think it's written in such a way as to be a more interesting tale than those of the books in the school library. He might even learn something from the drawings of the technical bits, presented in an easily absorbed way.

Cheers
Paul