Tanfield Branch locomotives/stock

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Tanfield Branch locomotives/stock

Post by Rlangham »

As one of my local preserved lines now I'm in the North East, I've been doing some research and walking along the Tanfield branch from Gateshead to Tanfield Lea (now partly run, of course, by the Tanfield Railway). Fortunately there's plenty of photographs from BR days of this interesting line, showing N10's and the occasional J25 on the loco-hauled parts of the line.

It seems the N10's - two based at Bowes Bridge - were on the line from their introduction in the 1900's, but does anyone know what would work the line before this? Also, how frequent were the J25's, and were they seen on the line pre-BR days?

Also, regarding the movement of coal on the line, were brake vans used? I haven't seen any in photos, with the relatively short distance locomotive hauled between inclines perhaps they weren't deemed necessary?

Would be very interested in seeing any pre-1948 photos, too, as apart from one showing the original Bowes Bridge shed before it burnt down I don't recall seeing any
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Irishswissernie
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: Tanfield Branch locomotives/stock

Post by Irishswissernie »

Tanfield Railways Guide "1725 Onwards" has a WA Camwell photo of Bowes Bridge shed in 1935 with N9 1643 & N10 1138 inside. A few exerpts :
" Before 1900 it is thought that Class L (J73) locos were used (Built 1891-2),
Steam was introduced in 1881 on the branch.
Other locos recorded J25 and even a J21.

Ernie
52H
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 52H »

Hi all.
We had N10s at Pelton level and during the late 50 s they were subsistuted for J 94 and the N 10s were sent to Bowes shed. The reason given were the J 94s weren't suitable for operations on Bowes shed,i believe it was clearance problems. The J 94 s performed well on Pelton level.

52H
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Thanks Ernie - I have the guide book, although it mentions J73's I haven't seen any proof this or the information backed up anywhere else. So far all the J25's I've seen were in BR days and may be the same engine, would be nice to find something definite pre-BR days apart from a few photos of an N8 and N10's
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Irishswissernie
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Irishswissernie »

Brake vans were used from Sunniside southwards through Marley Hill. There are several views in my Flickr album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswis ... 615831525/

The late Derek Charlton photogrpahed the Tanfield branch in colour from White'le-Head to Redheugh in 1954 and I have added a selection of his views by kind permission of Dave Dunn of the Armstrong Photographic Trust.

Ernie
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Thank you Irishswissernie for posting the link to the photographs. I particularly liked the ones showing the Knitsley viaduct being buried, because I haven't seen that amount of detail before. It's a particular interest of mine because I cycle over it regularly!
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

Wow! What a collection of photographs! And yes, those photos of Knitsey are fascinating. I cycled over that way earlier this year, but missed the location of the viaduct. Good excuse for another run out, mind :)