2808 Gunton in WW2

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

wamwig
NER Y7 0-4-0T

2808 Gunton in WW2

Post by wamwig »

Hi All

There is a much quoted suggestion that B17 2808 Gunton hauled a Prisoner of War (PoW) train to the PoW camp at Much Hadham on the Buntingford branch, does anybody know what colours Gunton would have been in at this time (wartime black I am presuming?) or could hazard a guess at what stock it might have hauled as a PoW train?

Many Thanks

Anthony
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 2808 Gunton in WW2

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Try Hertfordshire library service. A late colleague participated in a project organised from Buntingford and Ware libraries sometime in the 1980s to capture the memories of those still living of the Rib Valley area during WWII. It's a bit of a long shot though for specific detail of train make up, I'd just go with whatever you fancy!

Far from Much Hadham, my future mother in law travelling for her first time alone by train during WWII to be interviewed for university admission, recalls POW's with soldiers as guards on her train home. So apparently ordinary passenger train was one possible way of transporting POW's; much the same as those on remand and convicted criminals were once moved on regular passenger services to attend court and to go to prison to serve sentences.
wamwig
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: 2808 Gunton in WW2

Post by wamwig »

Thanks I'll see if HALS have anything, as you say its a long shot though!