One that got away

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

One that got away

Post by 52D »

I cant believe an ex NER locomotive although by the time it was scrapped it was nothing like its original appearance was allowed to be lost in 1968. The loco in question was Robert Stephenson W/No.491 originally a 2-4-0 built for the Newcastle & Darlington Junction Railway built December 1845. Just think a rebuild like the Furness loco and we would have had a little gem around and kicking today. So gutted about this its almost put me off my tea. The loco in question was NER No.30 and No.27 on the Lambton Colliery system.
Attachments
NCB27.jpg
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: One that got away

Post by Rlangham »

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was offered to the Stephenson Locomotive Society as the last owners didn't want to scrap it, but there was no interest so turned down. Like you say, a real shame!
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Of course there are quite a few engines that made it or almost made it to the preservation era. I know the NRM bemoan the loss of the LMS "Twins".

In the LNER world, an NBR Reid Atlantic and a GER J70 were both put to one side for preservation but didn't make it. Although not as old as the above engine, both were worthy locos to survive. The Reid Atlantic was repainted for preservation in the late 1930s but scrapped during WW2.

The J70 was left to one side but the buyer didn't act quickly enough or something else happened (I forget). Although J70s perhaps aren't as historic as anything from the 1840s or an NBR Atlantic, they oozed character and one would have been a hit on the preservation circuit.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Believe there was also a C12 4-4-2T put to one side in a similar manner to the J70
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Eightpot
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Eightpot »

Yes, sort of. There was an event held in the Noel Park goods yard around 1958 for something like celebrating 750 year of the Charter being presented. A class C12 was repainted and on display with other locos, A4 60022 and J52 68847 amongst them. The late Captain W. G. Smith expressed an interest in purchasing the C12, but it was pointed out him that mechanically it was in rather poor condition and advised that he purchase the J52 instead as being in much better condition. Thus the J52 got saved and the C12 didn't.