LNER OCT with Container in 1928

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

LNER OCT with Container in 1928

Post by Robpulham »

On the first page of the freight section of LNER Reflections by Nigel Harris there is the photograph shown below for illustrative purposes only ol and credited to the BBC Houlton Picture Library
LNER OCT with Container.jpg
Having recently embarked upon building some GNR OCT's I would like to know which company's OCT the one in the picture is and where if anywhere I could get a drawing or key dimensions for it with a view to modelling one.

I would also appreciate similar information or directions for the small LNER container and if it's not being too greedy the large ones too. I think that they would be fairly simple to reproduce with the Silhouette Cutter (I hope).

Many thanks in advance for any help or pointers.
drmditch

Re: LNER OCT with Container in 1928

Post by drmditch »

What scale were you looking for?

If you look on my thread .....here...... you will see two versions of an A size container I made a few years ago.

I think that Mr Atlantic 3279 did take some moulds/castings, so if you contact him he might be able to help.(But probably not before this weekend coming 'cos he might just be a little bit busy what with Grantham at Warley and all!)

If for any reason he can't help, just PM me.

This was made before Mr Tatlow's Vol 4B was published, but I think I got the dimensions correct.

I keep meaning to make one of the Steel B containers, but other projects keep getting in the way!
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks David,

The model would 7mm scale, but for use with the cutter, a drawing in any scale will do as long as I have at least one key dimension to scale off. When I import the drawing into Inkscape I need to rescale it even if the original was in 7mm scale.

I have been offered the loan of Tatlow's 4B volume so hopefully that will provide me with the info on the containers that I need but thanks for your offer and if that fails I may take you up on it.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

I cannot readily identify the OCT in the illustration but with a number MK796 it must be a pre group company design as absorbed into the LNER stock in 1923. Unlikely to be NER, but could be GCR or GER. There are a couple of GN OCTs in HCDv1 which differ mainly as they have rigid sides and no open work on which to secure containers.

Nick
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Nick,

It's your drawings from HCDv1 that I am using for GNR examples - I plan to do some NER examples using the drawings from vol3 too.

In true Blue Peter Style here's one I prepared earlier.

From your pointer I managed to find an outline drawing on the GER Society Website (link below) which looks like it fits the bill. I think that the brighter line along the bottom of the solebar is perhaps the edge of a steel underframe?

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php ... age-trucks
Last edited by Robpulham on Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

The OCT is westinghouse braked with a through vacuum pipe. This would make it either GER or GNSR. All carriage trucks were renumbered after the grouping into their own series, AFAIK this was in the normal company order for coaching stock of NER, NBR, GNR, GCR, GER & GNSR. GCR trucks were in the 5xx and 6xx range an new builds seem to start at 1201 os it seems likely that this example is an ex-GER truck
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Bill.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Robpulham wrote:From your pointer I managed to find an outline drawing on the GER Society Website (link below) which looks like it fits the bill. I think that the brighter line along the bottom of the solebar is perhaps the edge of a steel underframe?
The GER had been using steel underframes (and a longer wb than 9' 0") for a number of years.

The A container was from the first series of such size/type constructed by the LNER in 1928 and before any proper container flats were constructed or converted, hence the reason for the OCT being used.