Unusual LNER(?) brake van, any ideas as to its use?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Unusual LNER(?) brake van, any ideas as to its use?

Post by Nova »

it seems to be an LNER long wheel base brake van with extended varandas
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Unusual LNER(?) brake van, any ideas as to its use?

Post by jwealleans »

Have Shildon customised it to use on their brake van shuttles?

Hard to tell whether it's LNER or BR, it's obviously been heavily knocked about either way.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Standard 20 ton brake van (as far as I can see) but with extensions for passenger services on the Shildon demonstration line
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

jwealleans wrote:
Hard to tell whether it's LNER or BR, it's obviously been heavily knocked about either way.
Generally has a late BR feel, not least because of the roller bearings, which I doubt have been fitted for its new role.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

It started life as a more standard brake van (I can't remember what) we saw it in the workshop at Shildon being modified for brake van rides
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Pennine MC wrote:
jwealleans wrote:
Generally has a late BR feel, not least because of the roller bearings, which I doubt have been fitted for its new role.
And the vertical handrails are one-piece, but could be replacements. However, the LNER vans had this style of RCH axleguard whereas the BR vans had plate axleguards with a circular hole cut to the left and slightly above the axlebox.

A hybrid conversion, updated for the new purpose? Extended verandah sides, doors rather than just the bars in the openings, but a suggestion that the support brackets might have been for the shorter LNER stepboards?

Maybe the next time someone is at Shildon they'll take a peek at whatever builder's plates are on the solebars?
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Well, I was there this morning. There are no plates at all on the south (?) side.
I took some pictures, but they don't show much more than can already be seen above.

When I am back there next week I'll see if I can find someone who knows more about it.
I forgot to ask today.
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

2 minutes on the web to identify. Railway Heritage Register Wagon Survey, accessed through Vintage Carriages Trust website; search on location "NRM Shildon" and it produces B953602, with a photo of this vehicle and its history.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

1H was 2E wrote:2 minutes on the web to identify. Railway Heritage Register Wagon Survey, accessed through Vintage Carriages Trust website; search on location "NRM Shildon" and it produces B953602, with a photo of this vehicle and its history.
The link is .... here....