4472 100mph run

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: 4472 100mph run

Post by 61962 »

Looking down the train the last but one vehicle could conceivably be the Dynamometer car, as it looks to have the lookout ducket. I suppose this might be the reason for the NRMs caption. If you look at the photo of the train leaving Leeds you can see the dynamometer car attached behind the tender, it's required location when recording. I stand by my view that this was a running in turn and the inclusion of the dynamometer is coincidental, probable attached for a positioning move from it's home base of Doncaster. Perhaps the engine was working back to Kings + after the overhaul and the opportunity was taken to move the dynamometer for some scheduled test runs during the following days, not necessarily with '72.

Eddie
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It's hauling non-corridor stock as well, certainly a twin then a single carriage - may be a 5 set with two twins around a compo - and other vehicles at the rear. I'd have said maybe an East Coast stopper. The vehicle visible through the arch looks to me like a GN/ECJS 6 wheel brake with the very angular central ducket. The Dyno car projection is more curved, almost like a bay window. Fairly conclusively not the 100 mph set, IMHO.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Agreed, definitely not the November 1934 test run. In order to record the locomotive performance the dynamometer Car has to be directly behind the loco. It also has to be turned like the loco, as the draw-bar recording gear is at one end only. The location is Langley troughs with a Down ordinary passenger train, therefore not likely to be a running in turn. I also doubt this photo was taken in November.

The leading set looks like a GN 218RR twin. It was not unusual for King's Cross Pacifics to take charge of a relatively modest service in one direction and return with a top express.

John
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

A copy of the 4472 photo appears in O S Nock's Gresley Pacifics, Volume 1 page 90.

It is described as working the 4.15pm Down semi-fast. 'This was a regular turn for the London No1 link engines and men.'

This train was due into Grantham around 7.15pm or slightly later. I am not sure of the return working.

John
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I have now found the return working for the 4.15pm Down.

The loco would come off the service at Peterborough, arrival there at about 6.26pm. It would then take the 7.20pm service back to London. This had originated at Doncaster and was due in the capital at 9.13pm. Both these services had a considerable number of Brake vans of various kinds attached.

I was in error on one point above, King's Cross shed did use this relatively gentle return working as a running-in turn on occasion.

John
chrissheldrake
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by chrissheldrake »

I would agree that this picture can't be of the record run.

I believe the Dynamometer car always ran immediately behind the locomotive. It has a leaf spring and measuring instruments connected to the coupling at one end to measure drawbar pull and therefore had a designated Loco end and had to be turned for a run back.

There is a good set of photographs and scale drawings in the July 2013 Railway Modeller by David Malton which I've downloaded and will resize to 1/32 and print off. As this is the most difficult carriage to produce of the set of six, I'll make a start and see how it goes. Any suggestions for a source of appropriate parts ? Tenmille tell me that they can't supply much which was a surprise.

In the meantime, perhaps others more knowledgeable than I can help me decide exactly which coaches to choose to make up the rest of the train.

Thanks for all the help so far. Hopefully what we discuss will help others looking to build some of these iconic carriages.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Chris,

Looking at the photo leaving Leeds it might be that the vehicles behind the dynamometer car are an end vestibule corridor and then a dining first. Looking the windows and the recessed end doors, is the vehicle behind the dynamometer car a diagram 147 'super first', showing the corridor side? The next could be a Diagram 11 diner. After that it is not possible for me to speculate further until more comes to light.

John