A4 Woodcock/Dominion of Canada and bell

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

A4 Woodcock/Dominion of Canada and bell

Post by Graeme Leary »

If I have interpreted RCTS 2A correctly I note that 4489 when originally built was named Woodcock and in 1937 renamed Dominion of Canada. The 'Canadian Railway Type' bell was fitted on 4489 on 11th March 1938, ie after its renaming, and then livery changed in February 1942 to (Wartime) Black with 'LNER' on the tender (it does not seem to be in the group that carried just 'NE' when some were changed to just these 2 letters. Is this correct?

However, my main question is was the bell carried on the loco throughout the entire war during the black livery period (LNER/NE) or for possible 'security' reasons could it have been removed?

Also, curious as to why name 'Woodcock' was used again on a 2nd A4 (4493) built only 2 months after the first 'Woodcock' which appears to have been renamed Dominion of Canada just one month after build date of the original. Seems slightly odd that an entirely different/new 'bird' name wasn't used, eg any of the approximate 18 used for new A4s built after the 2nd Woodcock. (I think I'm correct in that the original 4489/Woodcock was in 'Works Grey' for, I presume just the month before the renaming to Dominion of Canada.).

Thanks all and Merry Christmas.

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: A4 Woodcock/Dominion of Canada and bell

Post by silverfox »

Graeme,
The bell was carried by No 10 until the fitting of the Double Chimney

Ron