what were some of the larger, more well known colliery companies whose wagons could be seen on the ECML

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: what were some of the larger, more well known colliery companies whose wagons could be seen on the ECML

Post by Hatfield Shed »

jwealleans wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:30 pm ... as his research has developed it has shown that wagons were not always routed the way you'd expect...
Would that include distinct differences between the loaded movement up to town, and the empty returns trains? That was something I suspected, a good example being the prominently branded (and this easily recognised) 'MOIRA' colliery wagons. Most probably came up loaded on the LMS, but any consigned to a customer on the East side of London might well be returned empty on the LNER.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: what were some of the larger, more well known colliery companies whose wagons could be seen on the ECML

Post by jwealleans »

I'd have to find the volume where he went through some highly detailed colliery records he'd turned up. IIRC it was details of repairs and wagons stopped which included their eventual destination. I think it was on the LMS, but it's a while since I read it.
Norton Wood
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Norton Wood »

Thank you all for the help!

Will certainly mean a reasonable order from POW sides and some internet surfing will be required!
This Forum has been so helpful! I'm pleased to see people are happy to help and point you in the right direction!

I'll keep up with this post in case anything "New" comes up :D
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by 4608 »

The original request here was for block trains. As was said earlier, from photographic evidence, very few similar wagons were grouped together.

Here are photos of wagons I have built to travel up the ECML to Kings Cross in the 1930s. All can be built quite easily from existing Slaters and Parkside kits. Others, for which I do not possess good information or for which appropriate transfers were not available, but which photos show in the locality or on the ECML include:

B W & C. 1931 photo shows four wagons together at Kings Cross
Wm Cory & Son
Charringtons
CRP, Swansea
Coote Warren
CWS London (Co-Operative Wholesale Society)
Denaby
Judbud
MOY (Thomas Moy, Colchester)
POP (Peake, Oliver & Peake Ltd, London)
Rose Smith & Co Ltd, London
Whitwick

And a photo of the Copenhagen Fields model includes:
Colchester Co-op
Allan & Boggis [Sudbury, Suffolk]
W. Fowler [Norwich]
Beeby & Son Ltd [Peterborough]
Petersfield Co-Op