Bittern's second run.

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Bittern's second run.

Post by x568wcn »

Bittern has left York on it's second fare paying run, to Finsbury Park as there ain't a platform at Kings Cross.
I have the pleasure of taking the footplate, and it was a warm welcome from the cold of York's P10/11!!
Anyway, I filmed the departure, all the way to the end, but somehow I only just got the support coach on.
Just listen at that whisle, and the 3 slips as she sets off (with diesel pushing at the back!)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CG7CtvmqmfU
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Thanks for the clip.. Most difficult to watch the departure when your on the train. I was in the last coach next to the "bodysnatcher" 57601. This loco has a General Motors power plant within the bodyshell of a former class 47. I am assured that this power unit has a fairly high tickover complete with turbo whine even when not under load. This may have given the impression that the train was being assisted in rear. Again i have been assured that no assistance was given by this loco. I must add that we had a cracking run south and i am sure everyone onboard was most happy with 41 minutes early arrival at Stevenage. I am also sure that this caught out a good many linesiders... I had one call to ask where we were and had to break the news gently..
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

You too were on the train.
My Cousin was in the dining in front of the kitchen car, and was most annoyed when I broke the news to him 2 weeks back that he wasn't coming up on bittern!
On Bittern, I've only just completed the photos!
http://www.yorksteam.co.uk/pages/a4-600 ... 071215.htm
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
sir visto
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Loving the videos

Post by sir visto »

I wish to say very many thanks to all those who stand at , possibly, windy cold wet locations to video the preserved locomotive scene. Living in Southern Spain I rarely get to see these sights. I can remember steam as an everyday occurence but never fail to be moved at the sight and sound of an express steam locomotive at speed. More power to your elbows - keep up the good work.
NB - The video of Union of South Africa storming through Chippenham is a real gem.

Don
Cadiz
Better steam than CO
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

The flash died on the old computer so just upgraded and got t'internet workin'. And so watched the video again.
I forgot, I got covered in soot filming that.
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk