Y9 coal trucks.

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER N2 0-6-2T

Y9 coal trucks.

Post by 2502 »

Good day all,
I am wondering if anyone has pictures,photo s, recollections or knowledge regarding the coal trucks used with the Y9 when out on the main line.The type I am modeling is the one in the green book 9A fig 117,121,124&125.I am looking for the lettering,I can only make out N E.Any help will be most apprieciated,
Ron.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Y9 coal trucks.

Post by JASd17 »

The 'wooden tenders' had wagon style lettering.

The NE you have noted. In LNER days the number was towards the RHS of the vehicle on the bottom plank.

The bottom plank was also lettered 'Loco Dept xxxxxxxxxxx' with the name of the shed where the xxxx are, i.e. Kipps, St Margarets etc. This lettering was smaller than the wagon number.

John
Last edited by JASd17 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

What scale are you modelling Ron? I ask because there are a couple of kit's available in 7mm - An etched brass one from Connoisseur and whitemetal one from Invertrain.

This is my effort from the Connoisseur kit.

LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 2502 »

Many thanks John & Rob, most useful, OO gauge,were they numbered?
RON
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Ron,

I hope this image helps.
LNER Y9 10096 crop.jpg
I have corrected my earlier post slightly too.

John
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

The image in the previous shows clearly a feature that puzzles me. There is a steel plate across the back of the cab. Was the wagon intended as a tender (i.e., to carry coal to be fed direct into the firebox) , or was the idea to transfer coal from the wagon to stacks on the loco, the fireman then using the stack on the engine to feed the fire? I think it was probably the latter., just from practical considerations.
However, I also have an 'action photo' of one of the Ramsbottom LNWR small 0-4-0T on the move at Crewe (and the exhaust suggests at quite a decent pace ) with the fireman standing with one foot on the loco footplate and other on the attached wagon clearly shovelling coal into the firebox. This is how I imagined the Y9s to be worked, but clearly not practicable but the LNW loco had a very short cab and open at the back
In another thread somewhere I've already mentioned the different forms of attachment between Y9 and 'tender, outlined in the sectional appendix, which result in quite different distances between loco and wagon.
Sorry I seem to be raising more questions rather than answering them...
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 2502 »

The floor of the coal truck was high ,so the fireman had to reach over the back plate when shovelling. Somewhat incon venient ,but not too h eavy due to small amount needed.Cab bunkers held only 18 cwt & tended not to be used when coal truck in use.Coupling was 3 link and[ two safety chains when out on the main line].Information from 9A.
Thanks for help so far,hope above is helpful.
Ron