questions regarding "interloper" classes on the ex-NER section of the ECML

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

questions regarding "interloper" classes on the ex-NER section of the ECML

Post by Nova »

as my layout is going to be set at an indeterminate location on the stretch between Doncaster and Selby, though closer to Doncaster where three of the LNER constituents would meet, what sort of non-NER or LNER standard classes could be seen, preferably Ex-GCR and Ex-GNR types
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: questions regarding "interloper" classes on the ex-NER section of the ECML

Post by jwealleans »

C1s went to York and beyond. Clauds did in GE days, so may have continued to do so. O4s would probably have been seen and I wouldn't bet against J11s as well.

There must be plenty of photographs - try just searching the HMRS online photo catalogue for York and see what loco types turn up?
Nova

Post by Nova »

jwealleans wrote:C1s went to York and beyond. Clauds did in GE days, so may have continued to do so. O4s would probably have been seen and I wouldn't bet against J11s as well.

There must be plenty of photographs - try just searching the HMRS online photo catalogue for York and see what loco types turn up?
results turned up a J11 at Selby, it would have had to get there via the ECML, so I can easily justify one. likewise with the C1 at York, though the Bachmann model has quite the price tag. I am rather tempted to have a D16 pulling the suburban rake I have

there's also interestingly a 4F at selby, so I can somewht justify a LMS 0-6-0 tender engine, which I always thought to be rather attractive locomotives...for a wessie design :wink:
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

C4s and D9s of Lincoln GC shed worked regularly to York on the Lincoln - York leg of the North Country Continental.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The entire GN built array of classes not adopted as LNER standards but still operating at your chosen time period are possible, select from J1 - J6, J52, J55, K2, N1, O3. Likewise with surviving classes built by the GC and GE.

In addition to the Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 that were allocated to the former NER lines in BR days, quite a spread of LMS classes can turn up. As an example the best known colour picture of the unmighty LMS Garratt is near York early in the BR period.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Hatfield Shed wrote:The entire GN built array of classes not adopted as LNER standards but still operating at your chosen time period are possible, select from J1 - J6, J52, J55, K2, N1, O3. Likewise with surviving classes built by the GC and GE.

In addition to the Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 that were allocated to the former NER lines in BR days, quite a spread of LMS classes can turn up. As an example the best known colour picture of the unmighty LMS Garratt is near York early in the BR period.
How fantastically convenient that I have one of the Heljan Garratts, the reason I got one is it IMO represents something rather special as the only RTR model of a british articulated locomotive, there's also evidence of them taking Coal and possibly ore to Scunthorpe steelworks in BR days, the size constriction of the layout aside I may have it pulling a loaded train of the lovely Hornby LMS hoppers going in a southbound direction on an interregional train.

At least now I also have a reason to justify getting some of Graeme's GNR kits.

would GER N7s crop up I wonder (I don't like getting a loco if I can't justify running it, with some exceptions)?

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The N7 one of the less likely, as a short range type largely shedded near London; and the GCR, GNR, NER and LNER equivalents all in locations much nearer your proposed area. Speaking of which, forgot the C12 in the GNR list.
Nova

Post by Nova »

Hatfield Shed wrote:The N7 one of the less likely, as a short range type largely shedded near London; and the GCR, GNR, NER and LNER equivalents all in locations much nearer your proposed area. Speaking of which, forgot the C12 in the GNR list.
so in short just about any tender engine from the aforementioned constituents that lasted to post ww2 could be seen on the ex NER (with some exceptions)

50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 50C »

Nova,

I hope the following information will be of interest to you for your proposed layout.

Being a Selby lad in the fifties and early sixties ,I spent many,many happy hours trainspotting at Selby and the surrounding area.I list below some of my more unusual observations of locomotives I noted travelling along the Selby to Doncaster stretch of the ECML.

1. March B2/B17's on the Colchester to Newcastle (it was usually a March V2 however).When Immingham received it's Brits in the early 60's they started appearing on the summer Saturday train.One year we sometimes had double headed Brits on the return leg to Colchester

2. Double headers were very rare on this section of the ECML,however the summer Saturday York-Yarmouth was generally hauled by two B16/2 or B16/3 of York shed.When York received a batch of standard 5's in 1957 they appeared on the train(single headed) for a year or so before being transfered away from York.
The other regular doubler header was the daily evening York to Swindon hauled 95% of the time by Sheffield B1's.
One evening D11 62666 appeared on this working!

3 .Over a period of time all the Scottish based pacifics, usually light engine, would make an appearance on their way for overhaul at Doncaster works.Also some of the last batch of 76xxx built at Doncaster appeared on running in turns.

4. K1,K2,K3,01,O2,O4 ,B1 and B16's were fairly regular performers.Although Selby had an allocation of Q6's the only one I saw on the ECML was from 51D on a down freight. Another 'one off' was J20 64692 again on a down freight.

5. With regard to LMS locos the only one I ever remember seeing was a black five on a down iron ore empties at the end of steam.I also saw a Beyer-Garratt at York but that ,I think, would have passed through Church Fenton to get to York,not via Selby.There was an influx of LMS locos through Selby in the summer months via the Leeds-Selby route on excursions from Lancashire and and West Yorkshire to the East Coast resorts.The usual classes were 4F's,crabs,Ivatt Flying Pigs,Black fives,Jubilees,8F's and on one day Patriot 45517.

6. I have also seen photographs of J11's 64397 and 64419 on up freights,J6 64267 on an up freight and C1's(3)

I hope this gives you an opportunity to expand the range of locos to operate on your layout.

50c
Nova

Post by Nova »

50C wrote:Nova,

I hope the following information will be of interest to you for your proposed layout.

Being a Selby lad in the fifties and early sixties ,I spent many,many happy hours trainspotting at Selby and the surrounding area.I list below some of my more unusual observations of locomotives I noted travelling along the Selby to Doncaster stretch of the ECML.

1. March B2/B17's on the Colchester to Newcastle (it was usually a March V2 however).When Immingham received it's Brits in the early 60's they started appearing on the summer Saturday train.One year we sometimes had double headed Brits on the return leg to Colchester

2. Double headers were very rare on this section of the ECML,however the summer Saturday York-Yarmouth was generally hauled by two B16/2 or B16/3 of York shed.When York received a batch of standard 5's in 1957 they appeared on the train(single headed) for a year or so before being transfered away from York.
The other regular doubler header was the daily evening York to Swindon hauled 95% of the time by Sheffield B1's.
One evening D11 62666 appeared on this working!

3 .Over a period of time all the Scottish based pacifics, usually light engine, would make an appearance on their way for overhaul at Doncaster works.Also some of the last batch of 76xxx built at Doncaster appeared on running in turns.

4. K1,K2,K3,01,O2,O4 ,B1 and B16's were fairly regular performers.Although Selby had an allocation of Q6's the only one I saw on the ECML was from 51D on a down freight. Another 'one off' was J20 64692 again on a down freight.

5. With regard to LMS locos the only one I ever remember seeing was a black five on a down iron ore empties at the end of steam.I also saw a Beyer-Garratt at York but that ,I think, would have passed through Church Fenton to get to York,not via Selby.There was an influx of LMS locos through Selby in the summer months via the Leeds-Selby route on excursions from Lancashire and and West Yorkshire to the East Coast resorts.The usual classes were 4F's,crabs,Ivatt Flying Pigs,Black fives,Jubilees,8F's and on one day Patriot 45517.

6. I have also seen photographs of J11's 64397 and 64419 on up freights,J6 64267 on an up freight and C1's(3)

I hope this gives you an opportunity to expand the range of locos to operate on your layout.

50c
this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you :D

I'm certainly envious of you and many members of this site for having been alive to see steam in its heyday, if only time travel was possible :roll: