Hertford Quad Bogies

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Hertford Quad Bogies

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Does anyone know which type of bogies were fitted to the Quads built for the Liverpool Street to Hertford East service.

My first guess would be heavy duty bogies, but 8'0 or 8'6??

What do peole think??

Earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hertford Quad Bogies

Post by 65447 »

8' 6" wheelbase and definitely heavy for the articulation bogies - since the Diagram Book shows all bogies having 10" x 5" journals it would be reasonable to assume that all were of the heavy type.
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by WTTReprinter »

I had a drawing of a Quad set somewhere but I can't find it now.
Micheal Harris' book shows drawings for the Twins and the Quints but not the Quads.
Interestingly, the Twins had 8' 6" bogies whereas the Quints had 8' bogies

Anyone else have a drawing of a GE Quad set?
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

WTTReprinter wrote:I had a drawing of a Quad set somewhere but I can't find it now.
Micheal Harris' book shows drawings for the Twins and the Quints but not the Quads.
Interestingly, the Twins had 8' 6" bogies whereas the Quints had 8' bogies

Anyone else have a drawing of a GE Quad set?
Michael Harris' 'LNER Standard Gresley Carriages', Mallard Books - the one with the reproductions of the Diagrams - does include the Hertford Quads - Diagrams 102, 103, 104 and 105 on pages 139, 140 and 117 (because Diagram 105 is shared with a Twin) respectively.

The Quins used quite different bogies, not just in the wheelbase.

I don't think that John Edgson got around to producing the Isinglass drawing set, although he planned to as it is listed in an older catalogue as 'not yet available'.
Eightpot
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Eightpot »

I divide the Quad-Arts ito two groups. The early GN ones had bogies with (normal arrangement) outside springs and gas lighting. I believe I am correct in saying that these were replaced by BR Mk. 1 suburban coaches. The later ones (LNER construction?) had Gresley bogies with inboard springs and were electrical lit, later replaced by the Craven DMUs..
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Eightpot wrote:I divide the Quad-Arts ito two groups. The early GN ones had bogies with (normal arrangement) outside springs and gas lighting. I believe I am correct in saying that these were replaced by BR Mk. 1 suburban coaches. The later ones (LNER construction?) had Gresley bogies with inboard springs and were electrical lit, later replaced by the Craven DMUs..
You're confusing the GN inner suburban Quads with the GE outer suburban (or more properly secondary main line) Quads the subject of this thread, and so may confuse others too.

The GE articulated inner suburban sets generally had a different design of Gresley bogie, outwardly similar but with a lower-cost single bolster arrangement and 8' wheelbase specifically developed for them; the GN sets had 8' 6" wheelbase bogies but with at least some later substituted by 8' wheelbase versions. The change in bogie types generally occurred from c1925 onwards. This bogie was the same type as later used under Passenger Brake Vans to either replace the earlier GN pattern Fox type bogie or to permit a increased load to be carried.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Many thanks for the interesting and informative replies.

Another thought is what kind of brakes did the Hertford Quads use? The ex-GER suburban stock used Westinghouse, but I don't think the LNER regarded them as sububan stock. I found three mentions of the Hertford Quads in the green book (vols 7, 8A, and 9A), where it indicated they were vacuum braked. However, in Michael Harris's LNER carriages, they are noted as beingair braked.

Earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

earlswood nob wrote:Another thought is what kind of brakes did the Hertford Quads use? The ex-GER suburban stock used Westinghouse, but I don't think the LNER regarded them as sububan stock. I found three mentions of the Hertford Quads in the green book (vols 7, 8A, and 9A), where it indicated they were vacuum braked. However, in Michael Harris's LNER carriages, they are noted as beingair braked.

Earlswood nob
The Diagrams all state vacuum brakes/electric lighting. Westinghouse brakes were used on the Quins, ex-GE stock and the 54' Ilford stock built by the LNER in the mid-1930s; the Quads were to all intents and purposes secondary main line stock.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Thanks for the info on brakes.

As the quad includes two 51ft suburban coaches, I guessed that they would be vacuum brakes

Earlswood nob