Bishop Auckland to Consett line

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Bishop Auckland to Consett line

Post by Rlangham »

Hi all,

I'm looking at building a model of a location on the Bishop Auckland to Consett line, not sure exactly where but possibly Rowley, set in NER days. Can anyone advise what locomotives and good stock would be seen on the line? Photographs show passenger services at Rowley with 901 class 2-4-0's, and 398 class 0-6-0's, as well as a C class 0-6-0 and what I think is a D17 in LNER days. Is anyone aware of other types on the line, especially for freight? Which shed would locomotives operating the branch be allotted to? I have the NER 1920 stock list book which may help identify types.

I'm guessing freight wise, as well as local pick-up goods then stone traffic, possible smaller 0-6-0's like the 398's again and P & P1's rather than 0-8-0's or bigger boilered P2/P3's
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
JonR
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: Bishop Auckland to Consett line

Post by JonR »

Hi Rob,
I would also suggest class B 0-6-2t, Waskerley had a shed full of them. An odd class 59 (one of the large wheeled ones was used on passenger trains) and 1001 would be still around in pre ww1 NER days. It all depends on the period you're modelling. Hope this helps.
JR