LNER ash wagons

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

ColHut
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: LNER ash wagons

Post by ColHut »

Tony west wrote:I have a drawing by Guy Hemingway that was a record of a wagon seen in the 1920's. It was an old ex MS&L / GC 3 plk fixed side open and was lettered, Loco ash only
Empty to Gorton running shed
Hope this is of some use to you .
Cheers Tony.
Tony do you have a reference for that? It does interest me.

regards
ColHut
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by ColHut »

Interestingly there is a picture in GNR Engine Sheds Vol.1 p. 84 of a steam crane emtying the wet ash pits at New England in 1937. There is only one line of wagons in reach and that include an LMS and LNER minerals by the look with end loading doors (a 7 plank and a 4 plank with very wide planks), the rest small 3 or 4 plank LMS wagons.

None marked loco coal, but apear to be railway company owned or hired wagons. Their proximity could be co-incidental but seems unlikely.

regards
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Re Breeze Blocks, these were designed by Hector Breeze using power station fly ash. I have first hand knowledge as Hector Breeze had a house in North Northumberland where the internal walls much to my apprentice electricians disgust were formed from the aforementioned blocks rather than the conventional lath and plaster.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.