Ex GER Special Cattle Wagon

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

boeing757
NER J27 0-6-0

Ex GER Special Cattle Wagon

Post by boeing757 »

Good Evening,
I am about to start a model of one of these vans. I have 1 reference, namely Historic Carriage Drawings vol3 and a photo on Paul Bartlett’s photo site. My query is about the brakes fitted in BR days. Both of my photos show just a single brake lever activating a single shoe on one wheel, no other brake shoes but evidence of vacuum pipes. When built, these vans were dual vac/ Westinghouse fitted with 2 shoes per wheel as shown in the drawing but am I right in assuming in later life the continuous brakes were removed and they were through piped for vac as it appears from the photos?
Best wishes
Bob
boeing757
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Ex GER Special Cattle Wagon

Post by boeing757 »

Hello again,
I seem to have drawn a blank on this. Since my first post, I have concluded that the van was in fact Westinghouse only fitted and that the vacuum piping was a modification after the Westinghouse was deleted. In a kit I have by D & S of a Sundries van there is a schematic of the same Westinghouse layout with a single hand brake. What I can’t figure is how many shoes remained after removal and the diagram does not make clear how the hand brake was linked in. Does anyone have a contact in the GERS who could shed some light?
Any help appreciated.
Bob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Have sent you a PM. Many were converted to other uses or disposed of well before BR days; the survivors have varied histories wrt brakes, steam heating pipes, etc.
boeing757
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by boeing757 »

65447, thanks for your reply and the additional info provided off forum.
If anyone has any photos they can post or offer off forum then I would be grateful, otherwise I now have what I need.
Bob