Allocation of the first Pacific to New England Shed?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Allocation of the first Pacific to New England Shed?

Post by JASd17 »

Does anyone know the reason why A1 2555 was allocated to New England for two spells in 1936?

It was the first Pacific to be based at Peterborough. When it left in September 1936 no further Pacifics were allocated there until 1940.

One cannot run a service with one locomotive, so was it some kind of stand-by for the main line services?

It also broke new territory in October 1936 as related in the link below, one of a brace first allocated to Leeds.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3350&p=26336&hilit=A1+Leeds#p26313

EDIT: I have just come across a reference to 2555 on 1-8-1936 observed at King's Cross by Eric Neve, he describes it as a Doncaster loco, which does not accord with any allocation list I have seen. The observation list is in Gresley Observer Number 80.

John
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Allocation of the first Pacific to New England Shed?

Post by JASd17 »

An update on research on this point.

The information in GO 80 may or may not be correct with regard to the allocation of 2555.

But, it is my thought that 2555 was definitely allocated to New England in 1936. I have consulted Tommy Knox on this point.

According to the Leslie Burley records, held by Tommy, many of her visits to KX were on Sunday trains, almost none in the relevant part of 1936 on day trains. I am therefore holding to my contention that she was allocated as cover for the streamlined service, i.e. the Silver Jubilee, is more than likely.

New England had stand-by locos at this time, but they were normally C1 Atlantics.

The first allocation to New England was the first day of 1936. Perhaps they were concerned about winter weather interrupting services. The SJ had only been running for a few weeks at that point.

Later in the year, and with experience, perhaps Pacific cover was not deemed necessary at Peterborough?

John Smart
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Allocation of the first Pacific to New England Shed?

Post by 52D »

Interesting as i had always been under the impression that all the standby locos for the non stops were Pacifics except for the locos at Tweedmouth and Darlington which were ex NER Atlantics.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.