Location of preserved Atlantics

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Location of preserved Atlantics

Post by kudu »

Sorry to take up space with this but I don't trust websites except this one.

Where are the preserved GN Atlantics these days? Is the C2 still at Bressingham, and the C1 at York?

If only all these locos wouldn't keep moving about.

Thanks

Kudu
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Location of preserved Atlantics

Post by Rlangham »

990 is at York, 251 was at Barrow Hill for a few years but been at Locomotion, Shildon for at least two
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

251 is at Shildon, tucked away on the south side of the building behind Hardwicke.
Yes, it ought to have more prominence and representations have been made!
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The aspect that annoys is that the Doncaster design development collection ought to be kept together, single, atlantics, pacifics. I remember when museums were purposed as educational, but now they appear to be run by children who fling the toys in the box in any order.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Possibly another result of allowing influence for those who whose attention span is insufficient for any serious learning and who can only be kept "entertained" by restless change or "artistic" chaos? No attempt to cater for those who would like to learn by disciplined and systematic study....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:25 pm Possibly another result of allowing influence for those who whose attention span is insufficient for any serious learning and who can only be kept "entertained" by restless change or "artistic" chaos? No attempt to cater for those who would like to learn by disciplined and systematic study....
David Jenkinson, a reasonably senior 'educational' figure at the NRM from the beginning, wanted to explain the development of motive power around the large object displays. i.e. the main hall display. This was not allowed. Therefore this is nothing new.

These are my words based on conversations with David.

John
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Thanks for your information, and for the (somewhat depressing) discussion it has provoked.

Kudu
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

They do seem to move them around - Hardwicke is now up at Shildon? I know when I visited, DP1 was on all the Shildon artwork, brochures, etc but wasn't there! Haven't seen it since it was in the Science Museum in the 1980s...

Yes you put everything that is related together in one spot - obviously you can tell a good story, and it is informative. On the other hand, if you have multiple sites, then there is a good argument to distribute stuff around. Eg. so people in the SW (say) can see that companies other than the GWR made locomotives worth talking about. Or vice versa - good locomotives were also made in places that didn't start with the letter 'D'!

You have to balance it out. Here, the National Collection is blessed with a large collection and a number of fair to good locations (and partner railways that can host exhibits) - I think we should be glad they have such problems! (compare: US or pretty much any other country)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia