Speed recorders on P2 locos

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Speed recorders on P2 locos

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Reference to photographs appears to show that Cock o' the North originally ran without any obvious speed recording apparatus, but that this was fitted by 1935 and appears to have featured on the other members of the class too. In many cases however, although I can see the large inverted A-frame supporting the primary bevel drive gearbox for the recorder alongside the right hand rear coupled wheel, plus the shafts running back towards a further bevel gearbox to direct the drive upward into the cab, there seems to be scant visible evidence for, or seemingly a clear lack of the necessary return crank from the right rear crankpin to drive the primary bevel gears.

Is anything known please on the matter of whether the apparatus was fitted complete on all of the locos and of whether the return cranks were either fitted somewhat later than the rest of the gear or were removed at an early date for some reason?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Speed recorders on P2 locos

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Since photographs are all the evidence available to me, I went and looked at what I have showing the Flaman speed recording gear on A4s and P2s. And do you know, so far I haven't seen one on which I can clearly see the linkage from the crankpin to the gear drive, A4 or P2!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Speed recorders on P2 locos

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It may not be crucial (although who knows) but the P2s differed from the A4s by virtue of having Teloc rather than Flaman speed recorders. I don't know how much the type of instrument fitted in the cab influenced the associated drive shafts and gearboxes.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.