Raven A7 cab interior

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Raven A7 cab interior

Post by Nova »

I'm currently in the process of designing a 3D model of the A7/1 with the aim to eventually make a 3D printed kit in OO scale. and I can't help but feel I've gotten a little lost in interpretation when designing the cab interior

the set of Isinglass drawings (which is my only reference apart from the few photos that exist online) that I've been using seems to suggest that the water tanks extend right into the cab. but in this configuration it feels like would leave mobility around the cab, not to mention a clear view of the front windows, rather restricted.

I would like to know if I've interpreted it wrong or not, and whether anyone has any reference photos from the real thing, or even some photographs of a model that can better show how the cab is laid out
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Raven A7 cab interior

Post by mick b »

This is the instructions for the N10 . NER Locos seem to be very similar in many parts of their design. The Yeadon Book for the A7 has zero detail shots. I would be very surprised if the interior would look like your drawing. The boxes either side of the Firebox are normally splashers for the rear driving wheels.

I would be interested in a kit as the Little Engine kit is very elusive and expensive. !!

fullsizeoutput_12ed.jpeg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Any news of your other projects J27 etc ?
Nova

Post by Nova »

mick b wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:54 am Any news of your other projects J27 etc ?
see the 36C studios development thread for a proper update post, and more details on the A7/1 project
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tomburnham »

You may find this thread in the Western Thunder site of interest but you will need to sign up as a member to view the images in full size.
http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.p ... r-a7.6333/
In the meantime here are a couple of photos of an A7 cab interior. Note that the inside faces of the tanks are curved to match the boiler backhead and increase capacity.
Tom.
A7 cab1_edited-1.jpg
A7 cab2_edited-1.jpg
Member of the North Eastern Railway Association Archive Team

https://ner.org.uk/
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Most interesting photographs. Were the tanks also elongated into the cab on the H1/A8 ?
tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tomburnham »

Yes, the tanks on the NER Class D (H1) also extended into the cab as they were on most of the other NER tank locos.
This is the best image I have to hand at the moment of the General Arrangement.
Tom.
Class D.jpg
Member of the North Eastern Railway Association Archive Team

https://ner.org.uk/
Nova

Post by Nova »

tomburnham wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:55 pm You may find this thread in the Western Thunder site of interest but you will need to sign up as a member to view the images in full size.
http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.p ... r-a7.6333/
In the meantime here are a couple of photos of an A7 cab interior. Note that the inside faces of the tanks are curved to match the boiler backhead and increase capacity.
Tom.
I honestly never would have believed it without looking at reference photos, that looks more cramped than is practical :shock:

I'd hate to be the driver, having to constantly worry about getting his legs bruised and cut by the shovel blade...

those reference photos are much appreciated all the same