Shed plates A1/3

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Shed plates A1/3

Post by Graeme Leary »

I always had the idea that shedplates were fixed on the cab under the number and have seen the odd photo showing this.

However, on going through the odd publications I have the majority seem to be fixed to the side of the smoke box (or are the photos so small it's some other object?) roughly 1/2 way between the front and rear of the smokebox.

Interested in hearing something definitive but my specific requirement is where was 4474/Victor Wild's shedplate placed in the early 1930s. (Just renumbered/renamed an A1 with GNR tender I've acquired and renamed 'Victor Wild' for the 1930s West Riding Pullman formation as mentioned in RCTS and Named Trains of LNER).

Many thanks.

Graeme Leary
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Shed plates A1/3

Post by jwealleans »

These are worksplates, Graeme, not shedplates which were a BR thing. I believe they were moved when the number started to be painted on the cab side.

I am not at home so don't have any books to hand but in the well known photo of 4474 on the KX turntable the plate is already on the smokebox side.

247 Developments do a really nice etched one on which the 'Doncaster' is legible.
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

Just as a slight aside - there is a Victor Wild nameplate up for auction at the next Staffordshire Railwayana sale (http://ukrailwayana.com/ lot 150) on the 26th May. It will be interesting to see how much it goes for!!
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks Jonathon, presume I can therefore fit the plates that come with Fox's 'Victor Wild' etched splasher plates on the smokebox and for all intents and purposes these will be 'acceptably accurate' for the 1930s.

Thanks too Uodistant, very tempting but the cost of sending (I presume full size) brass plates to New Zealand might stretch the budget a tad too much!

Graeme
Sir Nigel Gresley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Works plates A1/3

Post by Sir Nigel Gresley »

All packed-up and ready for a move of house (again) so I have no access to the bibles, but IIRC, depending upon builder, A1/A3 worksplates could be found on centre splasher, cab side or smokebox side. The latter were moved to cab side upon fitting of smoke deflectors (A3).
Check the individual loco!