pictures of locomotive cabs

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

eisenbahn
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by eisenbahn »

Hello,
does anyone have some drawings or pictures of the cabs of Gresley's engines?
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Guten Abend

Here are some pictures taken in Gateshead works in March 1963 whilst 60032 Gannet was undergoing repairs after a minor derailment.
Attachments
60032 cab 52A wks 30-3-63b.jpg
(471.87 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
60032 cab 52A wks 30-3-63.jpg
(459.97 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
60032 tender 52A wks 30-3-63.jpg
(430.02 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
eisenbahn
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by eisenbahn »

Vielen Dank! Those pictures are very interesting.
What is the black box right above the reversing gear screw with the dial that has dark and light partitons? I've seen it before on British engines but can't guess what it is for.
52A

Post by 52A »

That is the Automatic Warning System (AWS) indicator with the reset handle at bottom right. It is currently showing a warning indication, when approaching a caution or danger signal a horn sonuds and the indicator shows black and yellow. Approaching a clear signal, indicator shows all black and a bell sounds.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

See http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docume ... WS1959.pdf for an explanation of the system (and featuring A4 60007).
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Attachments
mallard cab.jpg
(164.1 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Sir Nigel Gresley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sir Nigel Gresley »

52A wrote:That is the Automatic Warning System (AWS) indicator with the reset handle at bottom right. It is currently showing a warning indication, when approaching a caution or danger signal a horn sonuds and the indicator shows black and yellow. Approaching a clear signal, indicator shows all black and a bell sounds.
AWS is very similar to your INDUSI.
52A

Post by 52A »

x568wcn wrote:See Bittern @ http://www.yorksteam.co.uk/pages/a4-600 ... 071215.htm

and Mallard attached
Wondered where they had put the air brake controls, where have they hidden the compressor/s?
eisenbahn
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by eisenbahn »

What is the small handweel and small handle on the left of the regulator and on the left sight of the boiler for? It is nearly above the handle for the brake.
And thanks for all those interesting pictures and ecspecially the describtion of the AWS. I haven't read true it yet but will do so shortly. But from what I've seen it really seems like the INDUSI.
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

As far as I can see,the handle you refer to,is the blower or Jet.
This is coupled to a perforated ring around the top of the blastpipe in the smoke box.and sends a jet of steam through the vortex and up to the chimney to maintain a vacuum in the smokebox.

Its main use was to maintain a draught through the firebox and tubes when the regulator was closed during running to prevent a blow back of the fire into the cab.
Footplate ex Botanic Gardens & Bradford GN (Bowling)
Yorkshire born & bred
52A

Post by 52A »

eisenbahn wrote:What is the small handweel and small handle on the left of the regulator and on the left sight of the boiler for? It is nearly above the handle for the brake.
And thanks for all those interesting pictures and ecspecially the describtion of the AWS. I haven't read true it yet but will do so shortly. But from what I've seen it really seems like the INDUSI.
If you are looking at the colour picture of Bittern I think the valves are for the air brake compressor. On the A4, and all other gresley locos, the blower control is a plain straight handle which is higher up and to the right. The addition of air braking has altered the controls at the Drivers side, compare with pictures of Gannet taken 45 years earlier fitted with Vacuum brakes only!
eisenbahn
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by eisenbahn »

And where do I find the handle for the whistle?
Where there ever British locomotives which had cylinder cocks operated by air pressure?
Sir Nigel Gresley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

eisenbahn wrote:And where do I find the handle for the whistle?
Where there ever British locomotives which had cylinder cocks operated by air pressure?
The whistle, like the regulator, can be operated from both sides of the cab. The whistle is the thin horizontal rod just above the teapot shelf, above the firedoor. There is a pull-out handle at each end. It is like a small version of the regulator, but lower down. In the picture of Mallard's cab, the left-hand whistle handle is in the bottom left-hand corner of the picture.

PM (PN) me if you want me to erklären auf Deutsch!

As far as I am aware, all British locos had mechanical, rod-operated cylinder cocks.
hunslet
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by hunslet »

Hello Sir Nigel Gresley
Slightly off topic,but warst Du schon in Deutschland?
Deine Deutschsprachkentnisse ist sehr beeindruckend.
cheers.............Hunslet.
Sir Nigel Gresley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: pictures of locomotive cabs

hunslet wrote:Hello Sir Nigel Gresley
Slightly off topic,but warst Du schon in Deutschland?
Deine Deutschsprachkentnisse ist sehr beeindruckend.
cheers.............Hunslet.
Yes, I spent a couple of years near Krefeld in the early 70's (you couldn't keep me away from Rheine), 4 years in Paderborn in the early 80's (you couldn't keep me away from Saalfeld) and 6 months in Koblenz in 2000.
I have over 15,000 slides of West & East German and Austrian railways, which I am now trying to find time to scan.

It was worth learning the language so that I could ask for footplate rides, which I invariably got!

Do you live in Leeds?