Old Carriages in Norfolk

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Old Carriages in Norfolk

Post by Dave »

When I was in Norfolk the other week I took a trip on the Wells and Walsingham Light Railway, a trip on which is good fun and is highly recommended.
Whilst waiting for my return trip to Walsingham I had time to look round the terminus at 4 old carriages bodies in the car park.
Now does anybody know what they are ?.
I do know what the cafe carriage is, as it's listed in the GER Carriage Register E6-158L (part page included) it used to be all third 995.
Extremely interesting 2 of the carriages still have the remains of their LNER livery, old and faded.
Attached are photos of them.

Any info gratefully accepted, and don't suggest the historic carriage register I can never find my way round it.
Attachments
Page from GER Carriage Register
Page from GER Carriage Register
GER Carriage 995
GER Carriage 995
GER Carriage 995
GER Carriage 995
GER Carriage 995
GER Carriage 995
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Old Carriages in Norfolk

Post by Dave »

Next carriage.
Attachments
IMG_1989a.jpg
IMG_1990a.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Another one, this carriage has a build date plate - GER 1899
Attachments
IMG_1991a.jpg
IMG_1994a.jpg
IMG_2008a.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Last one, this one has traces of the old LNER livery as well.
Attachments
IMG_2003a.jpg
IMG_2004a.jpg
IMG_2006a.jpg
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Excellent, I've not been there before but see a trip happening in the future.

Are these in storage for somewhere like the North Norfolk Railway ?, I'm guessing they all have a home lined up ?
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Dave S.
I very much doubt that they are in storage for another railway, as 3 of them are full of crap, and 995 has a sign on it asking for donations to complete
it's conversion to some sort of cafe area, but you never know, it would be nice to think they might be restored and used on a railway. Personally I think they will just rot away. The shame is the old livery panels will disappear and be lost, it would be nice if they were going to be over painted, for the panels to be removed and displayed under cover.
Maybe we all need to write to the railway and point out the importance of the lettering and the need to preserve it.
Edwardian
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Edwardian »

The first coach you pictured, and the blue and white example look to be GER 34'6" 6-Wheel, 6-Compartment Thirds to Dia.404. At well over 600, they were the most numerous of the standard Holden designs built 1886-1896. They have the characteristic large radius top corners to lights and panels, a somewhat dated stylistic feature that seem to have persisted on the GER longer than it did elsewhere. The final 6-wheel style followed in 1896 and was the "square light" type which featured small radius curves to all 4 corners of the panels but right angles to the window apertures. The square light thirds were Lav. Thirds.

The shorter coaches may be something like Holden 27' 4-Wheel suburban types, built in the 1890s.
Edwardian
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Edwardian »

The first coach you pictured, and the blue and white example look to be GER 34'6" 6-Wheel, 6-Compartment Thirds to Dia.404. At well over 600, they were the most numerous of the standard Holden designs built 1886-1896. They have the characteristic large radius top corners to lights and panels, a somewhat dated stylistic feature that seem to have persisted on the GER longer than it did elsewhere. The final 6-wheel style followed in 1896 and was the "square light" type which featured small radius curves to all 4 corners of the panels but right angles to the window apertures. The square light thirds were Lav. Thirds.

The shorter coaches may be something like Holden 27' 4-Wheel suburban types, built in the 1890s.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Edwardian.
Some very good interesting info.