Preserved O4 and Q6 - update please

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Preserved O4 and Q6 - update please

Post by kudu »

I don't follow the preserved scene in great detail but would appreciate up-to-date info on the O4 63601 and Q6 63395.

I'm particularly unclear about the O4. Is it now permanently withdrawn from active use, where is it and where is it hoped to display it? Is the planned Leicester North museum now abandoned? It's hard to know how up-to-date websites are.

Is the Q6 back in service, or is it still being worked on at Grosmont?

I need this info for a series of (essentially historical) articles I'm writing for my local society magazine. Answers to these I hope simple questions appreciated.

Kudu

PS If someone can tell me the present location of GWR 2818 - Shildon or Swindon? - thanks for that, too.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Preserved O4 and Q6 - update please

Post by jwealleans »

Q6 was certainly in traffic earlier in the year...NYMR website shows it 'undergoing boiler overhaul - expected 2018'. Can't be a major overhaul if it's back in service this year. Any NELPG members know any more?
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

2818 has left Shildon, and I believe has gone to Swindon.

The Q6 is in the final stages (it is to be hoped) of overhaul.
The NELPG website link for that locomotive is .... here....

I am afraid I don't know about the O4.
Is it a National Collection engine?
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Thanks for your information, jwealleans and drmditch.

The O4 is indeed part of the National Collection, on permanent loan to the Great Central Railway. It seems it last ran in 2012 (in BR livery as 63601 - see photo on O4 page of this website) and may now be intended for static display. I'm hoping someone can provide more definite information on the present position and plans.

Kudu
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

kudu wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:42 am...The O4 is indeed part of the National Collection, on permanent loan to the Great Central Railway. It seems it last ran in 2012 (in BR livery as 63601 - see photo on O4 page of this website) and may now be intended for static display. I'm hoping someone can provide more definite information on the present position and plans....
Latest issue of Steam Railway reports that all the funding is in place for 63601's overhaul, and that all that is awaited is the go-ahead from the (N)RM.
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

I wish the funds could be raised to bring one of the ROD/O4s in Austalia back to the UK>

It is a disgrace that such an important class has been reduced to one example.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

I think that the word disgraceful is a bit strong. Personally I'd prefer funds to go towards a new cylinder casting for Green Arrow, getting Butler Henderson back running? Perhaps one of the Atlantics, or both? Perhaps instead of making a new V3 and a V5?
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

60526 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:02 pm I think that the word disgraceful is a bit strong.
Well I don't. Locos like the O4s, J11s and others contributed massive amounts to the railway economy. I agree that B-H and Green Arrow should be brought back to operational condition.
Muzza
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Muzza »

Pyewipe Junction wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:44 am I wish the funds could be raised to bring one of the ROD/O4s in Austalia back to the UK>

It is a disgrace that such an important class has been reduced to one example.
Best of luck. :wink:
As I understand it, Australian Government legislation regarding large moveable cultural objects (eg. an O4) makes it difficult to export such an object. Nor do I think any of the owners are willing to sell.
The irony is that even with 3 of them over here, the only one that I have managed to see is the UK one.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Muzza wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:57 pm.... Nor do I think any of the owners are willing to sell.
The irony is that even with 3 of them over here, the only one that I have managed to see is the UK one.
The Dorrigo pair are in scrapyard condition, and have been for many years. But so are almost all the engines at Dorrigo. The way things have gone on down there, I'd be surprised if anything steams this side of 2050.

I've long thought that there just isn't the money or the time available to the owners to embark on restoration. Buying them after withdrawal was the easy bit. We've got our own example over here: LMS "Crab" 42893, the owner of which seems to have spent more money in recent years on legal fees instead of restoration. There's not much left of the engine now.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Q6 63395 looked fit and healthy today on Severn Valley Railway at their Autumn Gala
Was all ready and waiting for its arrival, nicely lit at Bridgnorth, when camera battery died..Lesson learned!
Understand the loco will be back in time for NYMR Gala 28-30 Sept along with J27

...........and some strange looking green loco(s)with bits of copper and brass stuck on!
Albert Hill
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Albert Hill »

Q6 becomes NER T2 in May following paint job.
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

60526 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:02 pm I think that the word disgraceful is a bit strong. Personally I'd prefer funds to go towards a new cylinder casting for Green Arrow, getting Butler Henderson back running? Perhaps one of the Atlantics, or both? Perhaps instead of making a new V3 and a V5?
What V5.. unless all locos have to have a log book now
Albert Hill
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Albert Hill »

V4 is a more useful loco than the V2 having better route availability over expected use over the heritage sector and mainline.

V5 never got off the drawing board if it actually got there.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Albert Hill wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:19 am Q6 becomes NER T2 in May following paint job.
Quite rightly so.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.