V2 monoblock cylinder castings

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

V2 monoblock cylinder castings

Post by drmditch »

If this is discussed elsewhere on this forum please forgive me.

F A S Brown in his biography of Gresley, and Dr Geoffrey Hughes in his ''The Gresley Influence' state that the V2 cylinder/valve chest/steampipe/smokebox saddle casting was steel.

I have not found any other reference to this. RCTS 2A says that the cylinder castings for the A1/A3s were iron, and I haven't found (yet) any reference as to what the A4s used.

I think I have also seen somewhere a reference to the V2 castings being a product of Gorton, but can't locate it at the moment.

As a linked question, were the P2 cylinder blocks iron or steel?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: V2 monoblock cylinder castings

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The LNER specification reproduced in the NRM's 'Gresley and Stanier' has 'Cylinders...cast-iron to LNER specification no 14'.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:17 pm The LNER specification reproduced in the NRM's 'Gresley and Stanier' has 'Cylinders...cast-iron to LNER specification no 14'.
Thank you. I haven't got that book. To which locomotive(s) does that specification refer?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

drmditch wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:28 pm Thank you. I haven't got that book. To which locomotive(s) does that specification refer?
Specifically the V2. The book was a chance s/h 'giveaway priced' find in a charity shop. Seemed rude to leave it behind.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

In 'LNER Locomotive Development' by Jim Armstrong when describing the first V2 it states when describing the differences between the new V2 and A1/3's....quote: 'A completely new front end was designed, having the three-cylinders, steam chests and smokebox saddle cast in one huge block of steel' end quote:
IIRC the norm for cylinders at the time being cast iron with it's self-lubricating capability, same as internal combustion engines. Perhaps casting such a large lump in iron proved too problematic? The reasons may be out there somewhere..

Pete
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Thank you. But wouldn't the casting (of whatever material) have had cast-iron cylinder sleeves fitted?
(Even more important in such an expensive casting.)
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

certainly, for the valves, that's normal practice for iron cylinders...I would guess for the main bore too...having not researched it I'm surmising...
Eightpot
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Eightpot »

Steel as used for castings doesn't 'flow' very well whereas iron does. These days probably Spheroid Graphite iron (known as SG iron) would be a better bet as it casts like iron with similar wearing properties, but has the near strength of steel.