Stockton and Darlington railway

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pokesnorlax
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Stockton and Darlington railway

Post by Pokesnorlax »

Does anyone have any diagrams/technical drawing of S&DR steam locomotives and or stock that survived into the NER/LNER. I have found decent drawings of the 1001 Class but does anyone have know of anymore Image
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Stockton and Darlington railway

Post by john coffin »

North Eastern Record Vol 3 covers locos of the NER, and does include some photos and line side elevations of some of the S&DR
locos. Sadly in my experience, few NER drawings include the end elevations on the same page as the side elevation and plans.

However, since the S&DR only provided 157 locos when the NER and it merged in 1863, it is I think unlikely that too many drawings
would still exist, even most of the 460 odd locos provided by the other constituents are rather like hens teeth.
The other point is that in the early days, almost each batch of locos differed from each other. As you will be aware 1275
is preserved, but it is plainly not in original condition.

I have not had the privilege of checking any of the Stephenson collection, nor the Hawthorns, so do not know if Newcastle
Museum might have any relevant drawings. You could also check the NRM collection.

HTH
Paul
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The above looks like an earlier Bouch long boiler design. The latest designs were after Amalgamation but clearly followed the long boiler / Bouch tradition.

The NRM do have a Dubs / North British 1 inch : foot drawing of the later 1001 - as per No. 1275 as built. I know because there's a framed copy in our lounge :-)

The drawing is 704E and also numbered 23303.
Makes No. 704-713, presumably filed under "North British Locomotive Co".
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Pokesnorlax
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Pokesnorlax »

How would one ask to see a copy of said drawings and others?
tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tomburnham »

I would suggest you seek out a copy of Tom Pearce's book The Locomotives of the Stockton and Darlington Railway, published by the Historical Model Railway Society, which is the definitive book on the subject. It is copiously illustrated with photographs and contains many drawings and lists of when the locomotives were built and withdrawn from service. Production of Stockton and Darlington Railway designed locomotives did not cease when the company merged with the North Eastern Railway in 1863 but continued at North Road Works until the final one entered service in December 1876, the year of William Bouch's death.
If you live near Darlington a visit to the Ken Hoole Study Centre located at the Head of Steam - Darlington Railway Museum, North Road Station may be of benefit and the North Eastern Railway Association Archive is also located within the North Road Station site.

Tom.
Member of the North Eastern Railway Association Archive Team

https://ner.org.uk/
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Go to the Archives at the NRM and have a look. I hear they're very helpful. You can use the website but will need to know the drawing numbers, and not everything is catalogued yet.

As Tom suggests, Darlington "Head of Steam" is probably worth visiting. They also have two actual S&D locomotives on display!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Pokesnorlax
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Pokesnorlax »

Sadly i live in the US, and dont have the funds or time to fly to the UK and ask :lol: But thank you for giving me the book recommendation. Thank you guys for all the help
Pokesnorlax
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Pokesnorlax »

Is there a way for for someone to look at the NRMs full online collection of digitized pictures? Because i found some diagrams i would like to see but can only get a tiny JPG from there prints shop.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I'm in the US as well, although I do venture over every 18 months or so.

I was able to order the above print through their website. Luckily someone gave me the drawing numbers (which I listed above).
I ordered a print copy, but they decided the drawing was too delicate, so they digitized it and sent me it in electronic form. My payment for postage essentially paid for the flat bed scanning (they don't or didn't have a flat bed scanner in-house). So there's still a good chance they have a digital copy somewhere. The cost should be comparable to other Crown Copyright fees.

I would also recommend the Pearce book - lots of side elevation photos of later locos. Plus histories. I don't think many copies were made - my copy was bought secondhand and still has the original subscriber's plate inside it! (perhaps a collector will pay lots for it when I'm dead. Or perhaps not...)

The North Eastern Record book *might* still be available from the NERA - they had some copies of v2 & v3 left for a long time. If so, they'll be discounted to clear. (they were published before I joined the NERA but I think v1 sold out very quickly so v2 & v3 were published in larger quantities)

If you're serious about S&D locos then you may consider joining the NERA - I find it worthwhile, but I've also been building NER models.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tomburnham »

The Tom Pearce book is available from Amazon UK from £29.99 -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listi ... d&qid=&sr=
I suspect that it will be cheaper to order it from a UK book supplier than obtain it in the US.

Tom.
Member of the North Eastern Railway Association Archive Team

https://ner.org.uk/
JonR
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by JonR »

If you're on Facebook go to the Friends of the Stockton & Darlington Railway, Anthony Coulls is selling a copy of Tom Pearce's book https://www.facebook.com/groups/3049126 ... 079465253/
JR
Albert Hill
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Albert Hill »

Ahrons has a few pictures, elevations and narrative data.