W1 tender when rebuilt Tender no 5484

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: W1 tender when rebuilt Tender no 5484

Post by greenglade »

Np Rob...

If you can PM me your email I'll send them over,

Cheers

Pete
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Rob

Sit down with a cup of coffee

go to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWa4bs_ ... pxCorFN5qQ

And FF to 12.50 on the b/w timer

keep watching , you may sesomething to your advantage later on

Report back as soon as you have figured it out lol

Ron
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Interesting film I hope you know what you are looking for Rob.
Now the interesting thing in the film for me was early on, around 1.16 on the timer with the
V2 on the turntable, whats on the left, a NER P7 hopper and again at the coaler. I never knew they
got all the way down to Kings+, plus a NER Loco coal wagon on the coaler. I wonder if the hopper was
going to go on the coaler.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Great piece of film Ron, not seen that one before, thanks for sharing. I never realised that they changed the loco so often on the FS run...:)

Pete
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

The finder did say the editing was a bit awry! There is another version i am trying to track down
Seagull
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

Thanks Ron

That is a terrific find, lots of useful views of the ECML and the 'working bits' :D
Dave wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:34 am I wonder if the hopper was going to go on the coaler.
Dave

If you look a few seconds later at the 2m 09s - 2m 45s on the Youtube timer I believe the wagon halfway up the coaler lift is one of those NER hoppers.

That is a surprise to me because I have one picture of a hopper in a coal train somewhere near Wood Green but always assumed it could only be going to a power station or maybe for ships bunkers.

Incidentally at the next cut at 2m 46s at the top of the lift, it looks like a steel wagon is being tipped so I'm sure it is 3 different wagons one in each short segment.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Seagull.
I saw what I thought was a hopper on the lift, then it cut to a steel one, so I just thought I had miss read it.
I have never seen NER hoppers used in this way, not even at York where we used to spend many happy hours
watching the coaler at work when I was a kid. Learn something new everyday.
William Brown
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by William Brown »

As long as the W1 was numbered 10000 it retained the corridor tender it received in 1929. This tender was the contemporary standard corridor tender built at Doncaster, dispatched to Darlington. There were relatively minor modifications made at Darlington to suit the water tube boiler locomotive. The most obvious was the curve at the front of the tender "eased" to line in with the cab. Heated and bashed with a hammer. This can be seen on 60009, as that is where the tender is now. There was a coal rail which has now gone. The handrails were of rustless steel, called stainless today.
It has been suggested that 60009 got a new tank in preservation but it seems strange that it has the attributes of the modified tender of 1929? maybe it was more of an extensive rebuild with only some of the platework renewed. The original W1 tender was in store when 60009 was bought for preservation and was chosen as the best available.
You need; any picture of the W1 numbered 10000, as built or rebuilt, pictures of the preserved 60009 or find 60009 and have a look.
Hope this helps
William Brown (Author of Hush Hush the story of LNER no 10000)
William Brown
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by William Brown »

I did not look at the date of the posting simply answered the call for help. Hope my reply was useful in spite of this. I finally signed up for the encyclopedia. About time!
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks William and to everyone else who replied. I must appologise for missing the relies at the time but I have caught up with them now. The film is excellent although of it's age and as has been pointed out a bit of dodgy editing.

I have the 1929 corridor tender kit to go with my W1. All I need now is to get on and build it.