Drawings for J72 Modified Chimneys

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

MartinWales
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Drawings for J72 Modified Chimneys

Post by MartinWales »

Further to planning a model of an ex GC (WMCQ)line in the mid 1950's, I propose to model the four J72's which were modified with smaller chimneys (68671,68701,68714,68727).

Is anybody aware of any drawings of the above and where to find then?
MartinWales
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: Drawings for J72 Modified Chimneys

Post by MartinWales »

Bump!

No one come across any works drawings for this? Some were modified at works visits others done on shed.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

There are some drawings in Ken Hoole's NER locomotives, but to find more detailed stuff, you need to
try and find out where the mods were undertaken, then check out the York or Darlington lists,
or maybe Stratford. Since the class was built again during late LNER/early BR times, it would be
worth looking at lists of GA's for there too.

Paul
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

There are photos in Yeadon's of all four engines -pages 53 and 56. In Hoole's book there are dimensioned drawings of various NER chimneys. From this a possible candidate would be a D17 chimney minus the capuchin, this would give a 7.5inch reduction in overall height not the 10inches quoted in RCTS. However, RTCS also states the reduction brought the chimney to the same height as the dome, which from a visual check of the photo of 68671 may not have been the case. Finally, it should be possible from the photo of 68671 to scale off the approximate size and dimensions.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

I've just scaled off from the photo of 68671 and make the chimney approximately 2ft 6inchs in height- same as the D17 chimney minus the capuchin.
MartinWales
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by MartinWales »

Gents

Many thanks for the replies and information

Have the Yeadon's volume but not Ken Hoole's book.

Another to look out for!
croesnewydd
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by croesnewydd »

The J72 chimneys were reduced by 12 inches to get under the bridge at CQ.
Incidentally I thought there were only three of them (2184, 2320 & 2307), but on re-reading my books they were joined by 1715 in 1942.
The chimney height was 11 ft 0.5" above the rail and it is claimed they retained the shape/style of the original.

These were normally employed at Birkenhead Docks but were supposed to replace the J62s on the Buckley line if needed.

Incidentally, Buckly (Old) station might make a good model if space is short.

Try the Buckley Railway (published by the Buckley Society) for lots of pictures of this line.

John
MartinWales
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by MartinWales »

Hi John

Many thanks for the information

Have the Buckley book and looking long and hard to enable it to fit in a modest space in a small 2 bed cottage!
DS239
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by DS239 »

I know that this is a rather old post, but I thought that I'd comment here instead of starting a new thread as it's related..
croesnewydd wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:46 am These were normally employed at Birkenhead Docks but were supposed to replace the J62s on the Buckley line if needed.

Now as far as I'm aware the J62 only worked at Connah's Quay and not along the Buckley Railway, but is there any photographic evidence of J72's at CQ or on the Buckley line?
Try the Buckley Railway (published by the Buckley Society) for lots of pictures of this line.
I have that book and the Oakwood Press tome, but [I'm talking 1930's-60's] they only have photo's of J60, J67 and 16XX Panniers in use on the Buckley line. Wrexham Rhosddu shed had J72 and J94's allocated in the 1950's as well, - so what duties did they perform?

Any further info would be gratefully received..

Regards,
Phil
croesnewydd
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by croesnewydd »

RCTS clearly reports the J72s (reduced chimneys) were used as replacements for the J62s on the CQ to Buckley line from Nov 1951
The J69s worked from Wrexham also to CQ as late as BR days. Again RCTS Green Books 8A and 8B refer, as do other sources on the web.

To get to Wrexham fro CQ a J62 would have little alternative to using the Buckley line - that is , the old Buckley line. In theory there was a link along the coast to join the newer line up to Hawarden and Buckley (Penarlag and Bwcle for the Welsh Language Society!)
I expect all these engines would have seen active service up to the steel works around Brymbo to one of the two stations there as well as people down to CQ etc. Now there are only houses over much of the area.

On the other hand, there may well be more detailed knowledge out there.

John

In days gone, I have sometimes found it hard to get viewers to accept that LNER engines found a rest home in N. Wales - again pictorial evidence