A blast from the past , The works i once visited , as a Rail fan

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

james b
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

A blast from the past , The works i once visited , as a Rail fan

Post by james b »

It only stuck me the other day , while looking through some old photos ,That I took many of the engines I copped , but none of the places I managed to see ,in the few years I took up "TRAIN SPOTTING " .. so I trawled over the internet , to re capture those days again . And here are six of them , of which many ,you too will have explored in your days .
Attachments
crewe.jpg
Darlington.jpg
Derby.jpg
doncaster (2).jpg
Last edited by james b on Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
james b
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: A blast from the past , The works i once vistered , as a Rail fan

Post by james b »

The other two works were . Horwich and Gorton .. both seen at the same time ..
Attachments
Horwich.jpg
Gorton.jpg
james b
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: A blast from the past , The works i once visited , as a Rail fan

Post by james b »

All theses places I saw when I joined the Northern Rail fans club , while at school . On just one excursion we took in the coach , we must have been to nearly 8 to 10 sheds and a works thrown in for good measure , And thinking of the distance to Crew from Bradford , or up to Darlington in those days , the coach drive did a really good job . It was a time in my life I am glad I saw , as after leaving school in 1963 , slowly it was coming to a end , but little did we know it , for the LAST OF THE STEAM , I never saw any thing interesting in diesels ,at all .
Leaving school , we moved to a farm [ MY FULL TIME JOB], and all my train books and mags found a new home , and I was left with only my own photos I took ,while train spotting and with the NRFC .
I am not far from the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway and the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway , both a few miles apart from where we live these days , and taking our two grandad sons there , makes me relive the past .
james b
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by james b »

A Santa special at Bolton Abbey .. 2016
Attachments
Bolton abbey station  2.JPG
james b
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by james b »

At one time we lived at Oakworth ..re visited again in 2015 .. We took the train from Oakworth to Oxenhope .. the wife and I
Attachments
oakworth station.JPG
travelling light.JPG
Oxenhope railway station.JPG
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

That Gorton photo is surely the shed next door? I never made it to Darlington Works (except for the scrap yard - was that a separate site?) or Gorton Works (just the shed, but all the engines were out! - or most of them).

Kudu
james b
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by james b »

Hi Kudu , you could well be right about Gorton . I stand corrected .. I remember it filled in a lot of spaces in my ABC book and other sheds around Manchester , as I was at Leeds train spotting most of the time .
james b
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by james b »

A post card I found on EBAY . the station has not changed a bit from the time this post card was taken ..only that there was a double track , notes how much traffic it had at the time .on reflection , thats why there was a shed at Keighley .
Attachments
oakworth station.jpg