knight of (the) thistle?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

book law
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

knight of (the) thistle?

Post by book law »

does anyone know the reason for a3 60065 knight of thistle had its name changed
hush-hush should never have been scrapped
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Knight(cant remember which form is correct) Thistle

Post by 52D »

I seem to remember that the name change was done because in Heraldry the first form of the name was incorrect. I think the same thing happened to the K1/1 class locomotive that i am not even going to attempt to spell in case the Chester Herald is reading this.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Yes, I pointed this one out to Grahm Farish......did they listen? Did they heck!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Knight(cant remember which form is correct) Thistle

Post by Flamingo »

52D wrote:I seem to remember that the name change was done because in Heraldry the first form of the name was incorrect. I think the same thing happened to the K1/1 class locomotive that i am not even going to attempt to spell in case the Chester Herald is reading this.
No, according to the RCTS book it was the other way round. The first form of the name was correct - or at least as heraldically correct as it could be without fitting a nameplate about 8 feet long. Dropping the 'the' made it incorrect. They still don't say why it was changed though.
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

In Yeadons there's a photo with the caption;
'65 had changed from 2564 on 20th October 1946, and joined the A3 class from 23rd march 1947, but, as here, continued to wear it's incorrect KNIGHT OF THISTLE nameplates, which were never corrected.'

Also later on;
'2564's name, as this proof shows, was originally KNIGHT OF THE THISTLE, and when replacemnets were cast in December 1932, a mistake was made in dropping the definate article. It had always been an unresolved question wheather the name was that of a racehorse, because no Classic winner was so-called, although one with it's name did win the 1897 Royal Hunt Cup.'
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)