purple a4's

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

bachman001
NER Y7 0-4-0T

purple a4's

Post by bachman001 »

Hi Everyone
This is my first post and hoping to pick some brains about the purple a4's
this is what i do know

Four locomotives were finished in this experimental livery between 1948 and 1950 the engine numbers are as follows – 60024 – 60027- 60028 and 60029. The actual colour used was the old Great Eastern Railway Royal or Ultramarine Blue, the nearest modern colour reference for this being British Standard 381 C 106. When weathered or when under certain light conditions the colour looked purple, hence the nickname purple engines. Because of the problem with discolouration the experiment was not repeated.

The four locomotives were lined out in red, cream and grey, the in the style used later by BR for its mixed traffic engines. The engines were lettered BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender sides and this lettering and the cab side numbers were painted in Gill Sans medium style letters.

The above information I received from the NRM what i'm not sure about is the colour of the numbers/ lettering, I have just been told recently that they wer'e a deep cream can anybody confirm this?? and upto now I have been unable to find any pictures of any of these locos carrying this livery doe's anybody have any ideas where to look. the person that told me about the cream lettering also said he had a colour picture of one that has been well published but he was being very coy about the info as he was a professional modeller and didn't want to give anything away incase of competition.

thanks for any help anybody can give

Antony G
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: purple a4's

Post by Bullhead »

bachman001 wrote:The person that told me about the cream lettering was a professional modeller and didn't want to give anything away incase of competition.
What a nice chap.

There's a good colour picture of 60028 in experimental blue livery at Grantham in August 1948 on page 25 of "Railway Liveries - BR Steam 1948 - 1968" by Brian Haresnape (ISBN 0 7110 1856 1). The lettering and numbering does, indeed, appear to be cream in colour.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Is that colour the same as what I have always understood to be the initial BR livery for express passenger locos?

Or is it different again?

The 'BR blue' I have seen in photos looked good on some locos - eg Merchant Navies and crappy on others - eg Kings.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It is different again. I've never seen a picture of it but I've heard it described as "more blue than purple". The GER description would fit with others that I've heard.

Agree that Kings look bad in BR Blue. The A4s look grand in BR or Garter Blue though...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

I know it's B+W, but gives an idea!
Attachments
60027.jpg
60027.jpg (31.92 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam