Sir Nigel Gresley Main line certification

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

What is your favourite gresley A class

A1
12%
A2
No votes
A3
24%
A4
65%

Total votes: 17

sng7
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Sir Nigel Gresley Main line certification

Post by sng7 »

Hi

can any one please tell me why Sir nigel Gresley (A4) still hasn't got main line certification as it was suposed to get it in november i know it was something to do with paper work but can anyone add to this

:?: :?:
Last edited by sng7 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

:?: Since when was the A2 a Gresley design?
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

22nd January 2008
Our frustration continues! Although we completed all the works to comply with the standards necessary for the locomotive to operate on the mainline by mid-October, the Derogation Board at their meeting on the 18th January considered the amended documentation and deferred registration due to "lack of clarity". Subsequently an urgent meeting was arranged on 21st January between a board member and the consultants who wrote the submission, to go through the documentation to achieve the required clarification. The board member has agreed to examine the redraft before it is submitted to the board who do not meet again until 29th February.

Source SNG Society Web Site.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks for the update.

The original A2s were a Raven design - in many ways a stretched Z Atlantic, but imposing and powerful looking engines. Later A2s were Thompson or Peppercorn.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

I bought The Book of the A4 Pacifics at the weekend, and in there there's a photo of Silver Fox at Doncaster in 4-4-2 Atlantic state!
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)
sng7
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Sorry

Post by sng7 »

Sorry it's my mistake :oops:

where can you get the book of A4's
Last edited by sng7 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

There are quite a few books on A4s. Mannion has a book "The Streaks" which I found remaindered in a Texas bookstore(!). "Power of the A4s" has lots of photos and is in the popular "Power of " series.

For everything you wanted to know, RCTS "Locomotives of the LNER" Part 2A (aka the green bibles) covers all the LNER tender Pacifics - lots on the A4s. "Yeadons Register of LNER Locomotives" Vol. 2 covers the A4s and W1. This has more photos than the RCTS book, and includes histories of every A4 - dates of overhauls, shed allocations, modifications, etc.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
sng7
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by sng7 »

thanks
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

I have;
Yeadons Vol 2 A4 & W1 Classes
Locomotives in detail 3, A4 Class
The Book of the A4 pacifics
The Book of the A4 Pacifics, A photographic accompaniment 1, 2 & 3
Glory Days, Gresley A4s

I'm sure I have more, but am renowned for not putting them away when I've finished with them, as I have never finished with an A4 book.

My current project is to go through Yeadons, and put in a table, the Date, the loco, the location and work carried out, EG, Enter Traffic, Overhauls, and Withdrawals.
I also put down the date it came back out after work, as many things will happen on each day!
So far, I've done 2509, and a few of the enter traffics, and withdrawals, very long job, and very long table!
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

This has some similarities to the proposed locomotive database we were talking about. Putting it in a database (rather than a table) would make it searchable...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
sir-nigel
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: Sir Nigel Gresley Main line certification

Post by sir-nigel »

Jon1651996 wrote:Hi

can any one please tell me why Sir nigel Gresley (A4) still hasn't got main line certification as it was suposed to get it in november i know it was something to do with paper work but can anyone add to this

:?: :?:
You don't have to wonder anymore 60007 now has the appropriate paper work in place and is now mainline certified.
f4kphantom
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by f4kphantom »

Excellent book, already mentioned, available from Amazon UK, used and new, starting price £7.99 for a used one.

The Streaks: Gresley's A4s by Roger J. Mannion
sng7
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Sir Nigel Gresley Main line certification

Post by sng7 »

[quote="sir-nigel"][quote="Jon1651996"]Hi

:?: :?:[/quote]

You don't have to wonder anymore 60007 now has the appropriate paper work in place and is now mainline certified.[/quote]

Thats great finally sir nigel gresley can go where he belongs

but sadly i heard he is no longer doing a leg on the north briton