GCR coach

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

upney sidings
NBR J36 0-6-0

GCR coach

Post by upney sidings »

A recently acquired negative, image attached, features Holden F7 no. 8307 near Quainton Road whilst operating on the Verney Jct. - Aylesbury service.

I have a pretty detailed story for the loco and a friend has gathered together some useful background regarding the coach but does anyone on this forum have more data on it than the following, please?

"As to the coach, it is of GCR origin and either an Open Van Composite Push-Pull or Open Van Third Push Pull. The two types seem to have shared identical external body shells and therefore I can't differentiate any further though perhaps somebody else can. This information is from the recent Hugh Longworth book on BR Pre Nationalisation Coaching Stock Volume 1 GWR & LNER. The book lists two composites and one third. However as this is only the stock taken over by BR I don't know if there were others withdrawn before 1948."

Mike M.
191222_E_LNER_8307_Quainton_Road_10-36.jpg
My collection of archive images: http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: GCR coach

Post by coachmann »

These 60ft 12-wheel push-pull coaches operated the Oldham-Guide Bridge service as well as other branches in and around Manchester.

The GCR built three in 1905 of open saloon configuration to accompany the steam railmotors. With the demise of the railmoors the trailer coaches were adapted for use in push-pull trains Driving trailer 4.5 & 6 became 51904-6 in 1923. I wrote a fuller history of these and other GCR push pull coaches in Delph to Oldham by Goddard and Wells (Foxline).

The models below were built using etched coach sides and ends from Bill Bedford. There were also some GWR push-pull saloons from the railmotor era running on 4-wheel bogies.
WEB GCR push pull 0.jpg
WEB GCR push pull 1.jpg
WEB GCR push pull 2.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Do you remember which bogies were used on those models please?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

LMS bogies looked the closest to the GCR ones and so I bought a pair of Hornby's from Peter Spares.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thank you.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

upney sidings wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:49 pm A recently acquired negative, image attached, features Holden F7 no. 8307 near Quainton Road whilst operating on the Verney Jct. - Aylesbury service.

I have a pretty detailed story for the loco and a friend has gathered together some useful background regarding the coach but does anyone on this forum have more data on it than the following, please?

"As to the coach, it is of GCR origin and either an Open Van Composite Push-Pull or Open Van Third Push Pull. The two types seem to have shared identical external body shells and therefore I can't differentiate any further though perhaps somebody else can. This information is from the recent Hugh Longworth book on BR Pre Nationalisation Coaching Stock Volume 1 GWR & LNER. The book lists two composites and one third. However as this is only the stock taken over by BR I don't know if there were others withdrawn before 1948."

Mike M.191222_E_LNER_8307_Quainton_Road_10-36.jpg
There were only these three carriages built by the GCR to Dia. 188 and all lasted to BR days, the first being condemned in 1954 and the last in 1959. There is some further information in an article on LNER Push-Pull stock in British Railway Journal 32, Summer 1990.