Turning brake coaches? West Riding Pullman questions...

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Turning brake coaches? West Riding Pullman questions...

Post by Danby Wiske »

The number of brakes is not in dispute - there is one in each portion of the train, which I would suggest are the 5th and 6th cars in the photo.
nutford wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:24 am If the train is heading north, when it drops off the 2 rear coaches there is no way there can be a brake at the front on its way to Newcastle -
Oh yes there is! With the Halifax portion detached, the Newcastle brake is then at the rear of the train. Upon reversal at Leeds Central, this becomes the front...
nutford
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by nutford »

Danby Wiske wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:22 am The number of brakes is not in dispute - there is one in each portion of the train, which I would suggest are the 5th and 6th cars in the photo.
nutford wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:24 am If the train is heading north, when it drops off the 2 rear coaches there is no way there can be a brake at the front on its way to Newcastle -
Oh yes there is! With the Halifax portion detached, the Newcastle brake is then at the rear of the train. Upon reversal at Leeds Central, this becomes the front...
OK - good point. BUT - if there is just one brake in each portion of the train - doesn't that mean there is one brake in the Newcastle portion?

Programming the finer points of Traincontroller is easier than sorting this xxxx train out I reckon lol!
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

nutford wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:03 pm BUT - if there is just one brake in each portion of the train - doesn't that mean there is one brake in the Newcastle portion?
I never suggested otherwise...
nutford
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by nutford »

Danby Wiske wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:11 am
nutford wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:03 pm BUT - if there is just one brake in each portion of the train - doesn't that mean there is one brake in the Newcastle portion?
I never suggested otherwise...
Ah - OK. Just what I was trying to establish is whether the Newcastle portion had more than one brake - which seems we are agreed it appears not :)
You were quite right re Leeds reversing of course.

Many thanks for the input.