Y1/Y3 sentinel shunter rear deck....

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

nutford
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Y1/Y3 sentinel shunter rear deck....

Post by nutford »

I have the Dapol 00 sentinel shunter, and a very nice thing it is.

I have one question. The rear deck appears to consist of the water filler mounted on a (wooden?) planked assembly, with coal bunkers either side.
On the 00 model, this is all finished in black. On their 0 scale however, this is brown (presumably as wood).

My instinct is this is wood - but what is the best way to finish it:

1) Coal-ingrained wood
2) Clean wood - on the grounds filling the water tank probably cleaned it each time - as per the Dapol 0 scale
3) Painted black - as per the Dapol 00 scale - or rather most of them. The 'LNER 150' version also had the 'wood' finish.

It's just such a prominent part of the loco, I'd like to get it right-ish. I've tried to find a colour pic of one that shows it, but of course unless you get a camera angle from a little above you can't tell. Any thoughts guys?
Attachments
pica.jpg
picb.jpg
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Y1/Y3 sentinel shunter rear deck....

Post by 65447 »

There is a fourth option...

The only 'downwards' photograph in Yeadon's Register shows the entire area piled high with coal, even with some on top of the cab.

That suggests that whatever colour it started it was 'coal' stained in service, mixed with some oil and water.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

If you are not going to put some coal on it then option 1, but option 3 looks the best, with all the coal dust I'm not sure that you would be able to disinquish any wood being there. These are a couple of photos that were in a MRC article from May1964 with coal piled up.
68130.jpg
47182.jpg
nutford
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by nutford »

Thanks guys.
Yep - coal seems the best way to go.

Cheers
Eightpot
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Eightpot »

As built the surrounding of the tank filler was just the top of the water tank. Any wood there would be a later addition.