vacuum condensate valves as fitted tn Gresley A1's

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

vacuum condensate valves as fitted tn Gresley A1's

Post by greenglade »

Hi guys, I wonder if anyone can answer this question, as some of you will know, I'm building a live steam model of 4472 and hope to produce a very accurate and fully working model. I'm currently working on the Train vacuum pipe and could do with some insight as to where the condensate valve was fitted on the loco itself. I know that it's fitted to the bottom of the standpipe on the tender and had expected it to be the same for the engine but in all of the photo's that I have seen of 4472, some of which are very clear, there is no condensate valve below the standpipe on the front buffer beam, they all clearly show an 'elbow'.

This picture is a good one as it also shows another loco (sorry, not sure of class) parked alongside which does have the valve attached, the valve is very distinct and easy to spot.

also, there is a 'limit valve' which is fitted to the main steam pipe somewhere along it's length, I have no drawing nor position to place this valve, can anyone open my eyes to this question too?

hoping someone can help with the answers...:)

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: vacuum condensate valves as fitted tn Gresley A1's

Post by greenglade »

Hi guys

Just an update to say thanks to info given I think thst I have this covered now...
Cheers

Pete
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: vacuum condensate valves as fitted tn Gresley A1's

Post by JASd17 »

The loco next to 4472 is a C1, probably 4404.

John