SCOUT CRUISE TRAINS

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

DOCJACOB
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

SCOUT CRUISE TRAINS

Post by DOCJACOB »

Any other information or images out there regarding as series of train cruises organised by the Scout Association in the 30’s? They stopped off in Edinburgh amongst other places and the train overnighted at Leith Central

I’ve seen a number of images at Banavie the final destination from Kings X

There is an article: history.scoutingradio.net/traincruise
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: SCOUT CRUISE TRAINS

Post by 65447 »

There's a 1-page entry in 'Named Trains on LNER Lines Part II', WB Yeadon, Book Law Publications with two similar photographs showing two different locomotives (both York-based Class A1) and the headboard. The text gives a brief but full account of the itinerary of the first outing, leaving London King's Cross on Sunday 28th April 1935 carrying 120 Scouts and notes that it was repeated annually until 1939.

The itinerary included running overnight to Leith, Monday spent in Edinburgh, overnight to Banavie by Fort William on the Mallaig line, for climbing and hiking in the Ben Nevis area, Thursday was a day trip to Humshaugh near Hadrian's Wall for a camp fire on the same spot as that lit by Baden=Powell in 1908. Overnight to Newcastle to spend Friday in the city and on a Tyne cruise. Early Saturday departure for and arrival in York including a visit to the LNER's railway museum, remaining overnight for Sunday Church Parade at St Olave's before returning to London that afternoon.

Despite the title 'Locomotive Headboards the Compete Story' and evidence that a headboard was carried, no mention in this title by Dave Peel.

I would expect for there to be reports in the local and perhaps national press too.
DOCJACOB
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: SCOUT CRUISE TRAINS

Post by DOCJACOB »

Thanks I don’t have any of the Yeadons so missed that.

Came across it in passing as most interested in NBR and LNER Southern Scotland

Getty images have nice selection taken at Banavie, along with couple of Northern Belle I’ve never seen published.