Loco Discs

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Loco Discs

Post by silverfox »

Has anyone got a drawing or a genuine headcode disc as shown in this pic?

I would like to know if the diameter is 14in as per the GE discs, and what dimensions of the hand hold is

Also is the black square at the bottom painted or another hole, and size?

To go with my under construction 5in gauge B17

Thanks
Attachments
200120_E_BR_61671.jpg
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Loco Discs

Post by 60526 »

If you look at - https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php ... des-part-1 on the 4th screen there is some talk about this but it is pre-1900

The headcode discs were about fifteen inches in diameter, and double sided. One face was white, and the other green, red or blue, with a white rim in each case. The handle was at right angles to the face of the disc, so that it could be hung from the lamp hanger.
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Loco Discs

Post by silverfox »

Thanks. I have got the GE disc drawings and realised that they had handles on them protruding from the top, rather than the cut out as in this picture.
If i can find pictures of B17 running with GE style discs in the mid-late 50s i will go with them, otherwise i will still search for these 'smoother' ones