A1/1 Great Northern conversion. Paint question.

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

CaptainMumbles
NER Y7 0-4-0T

A1/1 Great Northern conversion. Paint question.

Post by CaptainMumbles »

Gday all!

As much as I love my 'Grizzly' locos I have created something that resembles the A1/1 4070 right after the rebuild. It is part of the story! I am no expert but from the small amount of reference I can find, it looks to me like it was rebuilt more than once. And due to lack of pictures and references, probably didn't stay long in that state. The 2nd rebuild had a different running plate, and lots of other small differences, talk about a project!
The shell is an old super detail tender drive 'Manna' on a Railroad FS chassis with new running plate, modified smoke box and cab. Thompson O1 cylinder blocks. Motion comes from modded parts of the O1, L1, and A1/3. Tender body is from an A/3 'Sandwich'. I have lots of tender drive tender chassis lying around so I might convert one of those to fit the smaller tender body. I don't know if i will be able to replicate it 100% as my skill will be my limitation but it will still look OK on the layout. I recently built a 2-8-2 P1 from rearranging RTR parts so I have lots of leftover parts!

Question! In my old book 'The locomotives of SNG' the writer claims the Great Northern was painted blue.
What colour would the lining and boiler bands be? The one or two black and white photos I can find show a wartime darkish colour with wartime style 'NE' on tender so you could be forgiven for painting it black!
I would assume it was white/black/white. However, in the black and white photos the lining doesn't have a high contrast to the body colour. Could it be cream/black/cream? Or red/black/red?

I have not included the black and white photo as I am unsure of the copyright rules. The photo is in the A1/1, 'Locomotives' section of this great site!
I think the pics of my project are attached, hope it worked.

Cheers!
Ben
Last edited by CaptainMumbles on Sat May 02, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: A1/1 Great Northern conversion. Paint question.

Post by greenglade »

Hi Ben

I'm assuming you mean 4470? yes, she did change, when first rebuilt in Sept 45 she had the odd cab which had a higher placed side sheet, a bit like a 'Brittania' and no smoke deflectors. This only lasted a few months and she then went back to the usual Gresley type cab in Dec 45 with smoke deflectors. Her colour was a royal blue, something like the GER ultramarine blue, the lining was red, boiler bands being blue with red edges... You may find the Phoenix Paints livery sheet for 4479 Great Nothern very helpful. It will give you full details of her unique livery, no other LNER locomotive was so painted. The later BR blue was much lighter and lined in white. There is a VW car paint blue which is a very good match, this info was passed on to me some years ago when I was building my 4470 model.

This picture of my semi-scale model may give you an idea... this is not true scale and the livery is only a representation of how she looked but should give you some idea of what she was like in Dec 45

Image.

here's the link for the data sheet.. https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/produc ... /lner/4005

Pete
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

One in later Apple Green and new number.
Attachments
1 a gn IMG_5824.jpg
CaptainMumbles
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by CaptainMumbles »

Thanks for the replies!
Nice models!!!!
That looks quite a bit like what I have ended up with.
I decided to go with a dark blue with a red/black/red lining.

I would have actually loved to have done it in green like MickB but I found that in the very short lived configuration I have made mine I can only do it in blue with red lining.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

CaptainMumbles wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:49 pm Gday all!

I recently built a 2-8-2 P1 from rearranging RTR parts so I have lots of leftover parts!

Cheers!
Ben
Hi Ben

Howd you make your P1 please? Did you use a rtr chassis. (I'm assuming you did it in 00)

I have plenty of parts in my bits n Bob's box for the rest (GBL mag A3 for cab and boiler, smoke box, plenty of tenders to hack/modify)

Any pics would also be great
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Mercator II wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:19 pm
...Howd you make your P1 please? Did you use a rtr chassis. (I'm assuming you did it in 00)

I have plenty of parts in my bits n Bob's box for the rest (GBL mag A3 for cab and boiler, smoke box, plenty of tenders to hack/modify)
You are not alone. I am going to keep an eye out for a s/h cheap Hornby P2. Slightly out on w/b but will be easy to rewheel. (Heljan O2 mech: not brave enough to contemplate that awkward cuss of a construction!)

What I really hope is that Hornby take another swing at LNER big engines...
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:30 am
...Howd you make your P1 please? Did you use a rtr chassis. (I'm assuming you did it in 00)

You are not alone. I am going to keep an eye out for a s/h cheap Hornby P2. Slightly out on w/b but will be easy to rewheel. (Heljan O2 mech: not brave enough to contemplate that awkward cuss of a construction!)

What I really hope is that Hornby take another swing at LNER big engines...
Are the springs right on a P2?

I had forgotten the heljan though
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Mercator II wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:15 pm Are the springs right on a P2?

I shouldn't think the P2 springs will be right. Let's face it, if we are using a RTR mechanism we are walking 'Lashup Road'. I like models to be right as much as any, but am certainly prepared to compromise when four coupled axles enter the frame. (I knows the limits of my workmanship standards in attaining the running performance standard required. Besides which my hobby interest is dominated by operating the railway, rather than running the loco works.)

As for the Heljan O2, for all it has the correct wheelbase not an alteration friendly construction in my opinion. I am prepared to watch in amazement as some heroic type successfully does the deed with one of these: and that still wouldn't persuade me to take a swing at it.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:10 pm
Mercator II wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:15 pm Are the springs right on a P2?

I shouldn't think the P2 springs will be right. Let's face it, if we are using a RTR mechanism we are walking 'Lashup Road'. I like models to be right as much as any, but am certainly prepared to compromise when four coupled axles enter the frame. (I knows the limits of my workmanship standards in attaining the running performance standard required. Besides which my hobby interest is dominated by operating the railway, rather than running the loco works.)

As for the Heljan O2, for all it has the correct wheelbase not an alteration friendly construction in my opinion. I am prepared to watch in amazement as some heroic type successfully does the deed with one of these: and that still wouldn't persuade me to take a swing at it.
Auto correct hit there, ment to ask if wheel spacing was correct?
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
CaptainMumbles
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by CaptainMumbles »

CaptainMumbles wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:49 pm Gday all!

I recently built a 2-8-2 P1 from rearranging RTR parts so I have lots of leftover parts!

Cheers!
Ben
Hi Ben

Howd you make your P1 please? Did you use a rtr chassis. (I'm assuming you did it in 00)

Any pics would also be great
Gday! I used the chassis from a Hornby Thompson O1, the cylinder block from a super detail A3, the motion from the O1 and an L1, the O1 tender chassis with new body and chassis side frames made from card/ Of course, an A1 boiler and cab with modified running plate. I would say its about 80% accurate but it does look the part. Im quite proud of it! Id love to show you but any time I try to add pics, they dont show up in the thread.
CaptainMumbles
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by CaptainMumbles »

Gday all!
Since I am neww to the forum, Ive had to search for some reasons why I dont seem to be able to share pictures, and now I think I know why.
If I am correct, they might be attached below.
Attachments
bensp2.jpg
a1-1GN4070.jpg