Holloway Stock Train

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Cuddie Headrigg
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Holloway Stock Train

Post by Cuddie Headrigg »

Any information available regarding the 'Holloway Stock Train*' that originated at Newcastle (Up Delaval Sdgs.) and ran via the Durham Coast and picking up a pilot loco at Sunderland in the 1950s?
*That's what I was told it was called.
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Holloway Stock Train

Post by WTTReprinter »

All I can tell you is what's in the timetable & CWN: 9.45 am from Newcastle and arriving at Holloway (via Kings Cross) at 12.50 am SX, Welwyn GC 11.10 pm SO. Looking at a 1954 carriage working, its mostly empty parcel vans returning to London. It makes various stops on route to pick up/set down vans.
I hope this helps.
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
Cuddie Headrigg
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Thanks for that WWTReprinter. Does anyone have an idea what the normal motive power would be involved as those timings are pretty fast. I have seen a picture of double-headed A3s on this train.
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by WTTReprinter »

I can't tell you, other than there was a loco change at York (I have a Summer '53 York station working book) and it shows this one into Clifton Sidings 1-30 to 4-0 pm with a fresh loco ex York Shed. It's not a Kings Cross or Donny working as I have those loco diagrams so maybe a York or Grantham turn.
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
Cuddie Headrigg
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Sorry for the delay. Thank you for your info WTTReprinter.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Cuddie Headrigg wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:21 am ...Does anyone have an idea what the normal motive power would be involved as those timings are pretty fast. I have seen a picture of double-headed A3s on this train.
It could be a very heavy train indeed, and I have the impression from those that knew the operation that any pacific or V2 available was standard; and as with the stock being worked 'home' so too with the locos. If there were two locos that needed to go South, then two were put on. As the 9Fs became available they were a popular choice, plentiful adhesion for 'unsticking' the caravan after a halt to collect or drop off.

(Likewise the ECS originating Sundays (my recollection, someone please correct if wrong, I was just a kid) from Holloway to ferry coaches needing works attention to Doncaster. A 9F very much the choice at the latter end of steam, again for the adhesion to tackle a heavy train with potentially some less than free rolling stock in it.)
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

The movement of empty vehicles is not often modelled, due to a lack of knowledge methinks.

The GNR at one time the biggest user of slip carriages, had to get those back to KX so there were regular
train for that process.

Indeed the practice still carries on as we may have seen in recent programmes
re Paddington, or indeed the airlines. The timetables are all built on certain trains being in the
correct place each day, so whilst they may not be like in steam days, it certainly explains
the problems some operators have had by not properly maintaining their trains.

A lot of ECML photos show a couple of spare unusual vehicle types on up trains to KX.

Paul
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 4812 »

In January 1955 'Trains Illustrated' posted what it called a "last view of the celebrated 10.5am Newcastle-Holloway stock train, which runs no more", taken near Thirsk in March 1954. On this occasion the vehicles (it's a poor block) seem to be all passenger-carrying stock, hauled by a rebuilt B16 (No 61314) piloting an A4 (No 60020). I don't know where they were allocated at the time.
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi yes remember the stock train well from memory an "A1" most times when sighted in the " X" after arrival, they to free up the platform would drag the long train, which sometimes consisted of the odd Pullman carriage or Teak Coach, out to Clarence Yard, then propel the long train up the Holloway(UP) incline/ramp & park there for 2 or 3hrs, the loco L1/N2 or J50 and a long way back N1's, the loco then running around the stock, before I assume running back into the"X"ruining a v.young trainspotters view of up workings to Kings Cross/ Moorgate&points South(goods)I lived in Ashburton Grove & what a wonderful area for train movements that triangle was...jj
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Rebuilt B16 err 61314 (B1) a typo?, had to be 614xx now they were an unusual sighting on the ECML south of York?but quite a few I saw betwixt '54-'58 of both types when running up light for a northbound evening freight working back from Kings Cross Goods or maybe the Welwyn around 7pm?, instead of a York V2, shortage I suppose, often wondered if New England or Grantham sent them up to get them home,I was always pleased to see a York member on Neasden MPD ex Woodford Halse on a fill in turn I suppose.
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 4812 »

My apologies rockinjohn - the B16 number I gave was of course rubbish. It was actually No 61434.
Cuddie Headrigg
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Just caught up with this thread now. Thanks for the replies.
mardle
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by mardle »

I have seen a photo of two A3s double heading this train through Stockton in the 50s
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

just been looking at my 1956 Trains Annual which has a photo of 60036 and 60516 double -heading the train near Thirsk. sorry no date is given. photographer is J.W.Hague
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Just stumbled across an article in the Feb. 2002 issue of Steam World magazine p36 ‘Stockton’s Celebrity (Empty) Train’.
Bags of info therein. Well worth rooting around those heavy boxes of damp back numbers one finds on preserved lines in their enthusiast shops.....once this blummin Covid thing permits.
Give them an extra quid for it as they’re usually dirt cheap.....they need every penny we can spare!