4MT Overhauls.

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

4MT Overhauls.

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

Plaistow 33A &Tilbury 33B both had several BR Standard 2-6-4 Tanks in the 80000 series shedded there during the 1950's. I assumed that they were overhauled (Shopped) @ Doncaster,but somebody suggested Stratford which seems far more logical. Does anyone know the correct location please.
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: 4MT Overhauls.

Post by WTTReprinter »

It could be Stratford or Donny but also don't forget Bow Works handled LT&S locos. It got quite a pasting in WW2 but in the 50's it was still carrying out overhauls and even upgraded to diesel locos until it closed in 1960.
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

From what I have read, the original plan for the Standards was to concentrate repairs and maintenance at one or two workshops for each class, to avoid the need to carry parts at many different locations. Usually, these were the works where they were built. Thus, Britannias were initially overhauled at Crewe, although this was relaxed in later years and the ER allocation was overhauled at Doncaster.

I would suggest that the LT&S 4MT tanks would have been overhauled at Derby, although I am not ruling Doncaster out. I can't remember ever seeing any there during the period 1959 to 1964, however.
60129 GUY MANNERING

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

I once saw a Neasden 80000 engine reverse off of the Nottingham Line and take the ECML towards the North.
I lived at Neasden and my father worked at 14D so I was particularly interested in this movement. I was unable to discover what was happening,but a few weeks later saw 76000 Class Neasden loco doing the same thing.I therefore made the assumption that they were on their way to Doncaster for overhaul.
Neasden to Nottingham then Grantham & lastly Doncaster.
rockinjohn

Re: 4MT Overhaul/works visits

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi, well dont think Bow overhauled any, repairs yes, along with Stratford,But maybe Darlington? which did overhaul some of the London Area&Hitchin L1's class members,by now( mid '50's)they didnt always go to the "mother"region,except when the works were short of new construction work @Crewe or Derby witness the L.N.E.R. J39's ex Derby, while awaiting work on "new"standard class builds.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Yes, I have a few records for Darlington Works visits on my spotting log website (link below) and there are occasional GE-based locos listed as in the works.

I don't recall any ER Ivatt 4MTs, but there are certainly tank locos, both ex-LNER and Standards.The Ivatt 4MTs were mainly Thornaby and Hull allocated.
There are even some Stratford based L1s during the late 50s and early 60s.

I was surprised at first, because I wonder how they made the journey there and back? They would have been excellent cops for the local spotters if the locos travelled by day.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

I personally never visited Bow Works, only the shed, to my regret, though I saw it a few times from the train. "An Illustrated history of British Railways Workshops" has a 1955 view of the erecting shop with 41941 "receiving a heavy repair", with 42514 and 47487 also present. A "Works Organisation Report" of 1948 says of Bow: "Loco repairing chiefly for LTS Section. (Heavy boiler repairs at Derby.)...Very small works considering that general repairs are undertaken. Dependent on Derby for much assistance, especially with boiler repairs and wheels."

I'm not sure how much further this gets us, but if Bow continued as a kind of outpost to Derby, despite the proximity of Stratford, and if Derby dealt with the Standard 2-6-4Ts, then Bow could well have been involved too, otherwise it is less likely.

Whatever was handled there, it is remarkable that Bow survived to 1960 when places like Stoke did not survive the LMS.

Kudu
Belvoir
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Belvoir »

May I inform that in Brian Morrison's delightful book "30A - Steam on Stratford shed in the 1950's" - on page 33 there is a photograph of 80070 (of 33B Tilbury) undergoing an Intermediate Overhaul inside Stratford Works on 7th. July, 1956.

I often 'copped' 80070 working through Grays from mid 1959 until the demise of steam.

(Not as nice as the 3-cyl. Staniers though)

Cheers, Belvoir
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi been thinking, I remember seeing a Brand New standard 4MT tank(80062 or 80065)? once in Euston, a 1C(Watford) allocation, parked awaiting a return to Tring on an down outer suburban train, just stood &stared for a good 3/4mins (I was young and impressionable) a brand new loco! &so impressive,sleek&shiny, crew proud of their stead,never having seen any new steam loco before (10201 doesn't count its a diesel!), not long after I witnessed the single chimney 9F 9201X (spaceships) working up light engine to KX MPD&Goods from Doncaster running in or maybe assembled there?the early ones went to the WR for Ebbw Vale workings..
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

Nice looking tank locos and I believe they were used mainly on passenger workings and were apparently one of the better designs to come from the standard classes. Southern region loco crews liked them I believe and they were to be found on all B.R. regions except the western region.

British 1950s Rock & roller Joe Brown use to fire them when he was at Plaistow shed on the LT&S in the mid 1950s. When the diesels replaced steam Joe 'jacked the railway in' and said in a interview sitting in the cab of a Brush type 2 and eating cheese sandwiches wasn't his idea of work.

Hey rockinjohn B.R. Standard 4MT 2-6-4 tanks (80000 series) and British 50s rock & roll it doesn't get any better!!.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
rockinjohn

Re: 4MT Overhauls/joe brown

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Mickey yes remember Joe going back to 33A & he sitting in the cab of a standard 4MT tank& being interviewed,he loved steam, but think he made the right move(ha)would never have married an ex.Vernon Girl(s) otherwise,could never see him being happy in the cab of a #302 dark green @ Upminster.jj p.s. the L.T.S Stanier 3cyls &along with the Fairburn's always went back to Derby for overhaul i'm pretty sure....
rockinjohn

Re: 4MT Overhauls/tilbury tanks

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi, once saw 41949 on an up Southend parcels thru Stratford ex works new emblem,think maybe this tank ended up @ Colchester or Clacton MPD's not sure where it was o/hauled but it made it's way back to East London, dont think the 33 area codes had much use for them by late '50's.jj
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi think I better clarify o/haul always meant to me @ least boiler removal etc&full repaint in current livery&emblem not just repair &smoke box repaint,which is what Bow did in the LATTER years, many times before the works closure.