NPCS Through Workings

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Eastsidepilot
NER Y7 0-4-0T

NPCS Through Workings

Post by Eastsidepilot »

Not sure if I'm in the right section here but I'm trying to find out where LMS parcels vans would have worked through onto the LNER around London during the 1940's leading up to Nationalisation.
Would there have been a central area, Stratford or Liverpool St. for instance, where other regions parcels stock would have been bought to and there contents transferred onto LNER stock for further movement around the system.

Col.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: NPCS Through Workings

Post by john coffin »

There were many places at which the LNER and LMS intersected to such an extent as to allow for transhipment of
goods, but in many cases that might well not have been necessary, since the RCH would have sorted the financial
part of the process. If it was a full van to one particular location, it might well have been put on an LNER/LMS
freight anyway.

Otherwise, there are numerous things like the old North London Railway, the intersection of the old Midland
and GNR near Kings Cross. The railway near the Neasden depot went from the Midland toward Acton, and
was called the Midland and South Western for a period. It went from Cricklewood via Dudden or Dudding HIll
toward Acton, and today can be seen still on an overbridge, near where the ex Neasden depot is by Wembley
Stadium.

paul
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Forgot to mention earlier that of course the LMS had access to the docks through the NLR route,whilst the
LNER could use the widened lines of the Met to get to Poplar Docks and surrounding area.

paul
Eastsidepilot
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Eastsidepilot »

Paul,
Thanks for your interesting replies.
My interest lays with Fenchurch St and the period of time when both LNER and LMS trains were using the station, 1940's.
I'm assuming that parcels traffic from the old LT&SR that was destined for say North Woolwich or Loughton could have been transhipped to LNER parcels trains at Fenchurch St. but if it was a full van load would the LMS vehicle have been attached to an LNER train and taken through to point of unloading ? and perhaps re-loaded for return to LMS bound destinations ? If that makes sense!

Col.