Lining on pre-group corridor stock

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

darwins
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Lining on pre-group corridor stock

Post by darwins »

Hello

I have just noticed an interesting photo on Steve Banks website

https://www.steve-banks.org/images/hist ... 00_72s.jpg

The picture shows lining picking out the edges of the lower panels. He says that this 'hybrid' style lining was only applied to first class cars. I presume the same may have been applied to NER and other rolling stock built with panelling with round corners.

For third class and composite carriages were the lower panels lined with the square cornered GNR/LNER type lining in the centre of the panels

Would matchboarded corridor stock be unlined?
JonBates
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Lining on pre-group corridor stock

Post by JonBates »

Interesting....

I hadn’t spotted that information on Bank’s web site. Thanks for posting here.

Timing is good as well - I had finally made my mind up to line my NER coach in standard LNER style! ( partly because it is easier to apply) Now I may have to re- consider.

I too am interested to know if anyone has more information on the lining applied to pre group coaches in LNER days.

Oh well, back to indecision for me :)

Jon
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

darwins wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:56 am Hello

I have just noticed an interesting photo on Steve Banks website

https://www.steve-banks.org/images/hist ... 00_72s.jpg

The picture shows lining picking out the edges of the lower panels. He says that this 'hybrid' style lining was only applied to first class cars. I presume the same may have been applied to NER and other rolling stock built with panelling with round corners.

For third class and composite carriages were the lower panels lined with the square cornered GNR/LNER type lining in the centre of the panels

Would matchboarded corridor stock be unlined?
I suspect that Banks is incorrect when he said the only first-class carriages were lined in this way. It is much more likely that only train-sets used on the principle expresses were line like this where it was appropriate to the carriage's construction. Maybe he has become confused as the unlined carriage on the right of the photo is non-corridor stock, which wouldn't have carried lining.

I've not seen a photo of matchboard stock with lining.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Is that ex NER stock ?, perhaps ex GER ? , it looks like a ECJS Clerestory to the left side as well from the Roof layout.

The Bogies look unusual as well , I have never seen, what I presume are Fox Bogies, with that layout before. Bracing between the axles boxes and other supports rods ? as well.

What has Matchboard got to do with the photograph ?

Is that lining?, as the Dyno car when released by Rapido appeared in photographs with similar effect around the panels . Some say it is lining ,others sunlight reflecting on the panels. Rapido thought it was the sun !!.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It's all former GC stock. 51266 is on typical Parker stock bogies. The clerestory could originally have been an Ms&L / GC diner. I think Bill is correct that the vehicle to the right is non-corridor, perhaps the 1905-7 ish suburban stock. The vehicles appear to be standing in the bay at the East end of Lincoln Central.
Looks like 51266 has lining around the mouldings below the waist, with the "proper" group standard vertical lines only with arrow heads on the upper mouldings. Very interesting.

Going further with the separate livery question for matchboarded stock, I've been waiting for years, without result, to see a photograph of a Barnum in LNER livery with any visible hint of even a class designation on the doors.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
darwins
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by darwins »

After further research, I am now of the opinion that there was considerable local variation. I am happy to go with the picture that I first highlighted as being the style used on panelled Great Central corridor stock thus:

Also on Steve Banks website we have the ex-NER dynamometer car:
https://www.steve-banks.org/images/his ... 960_72.jpg
This clearly has lining around the edges of all the panelling in a traditional style and could well be what was used for ex NER corridor stock with full curved panelling. Another example of an ex-NER vehicle is the LNER Buffet conversion:
https://www.steve-banks.org/images/hist ... 00_72u.jpg
Both the buffet car and the third class coach nearer to the camera appear to be lined around the outside edges of the lower panels and waist panels. In this case I can not make out any lining on the upper panels. Is there lining there? Is it LNER style? Would it perhaps be like this:

This sort of connects with the is it or is it not question about 945Y. viewtopic.php?p=137381#p137364
If indeed the livery in the photo is teak, then the lining is around the edges of all panels, lower, waist and upper the same as on the dynamometer car. Possibly that was the "correct" livery for NER stock in LNER teak.

Some very interesting photographs appear in Keith Fenwick's book about GNoSR carriages. Not only a corridor coach (p86) but on pages 58, 59, 66 and 69 are some six wheeled non-corridor coaches that are clearly in lined LNER livery! The style of these is to have the waist panel lined around the edges, with the LNER arrow head vertical lines on the upper panels... and also on the lower panels too. Like this:

So the plot thickens and more information is still needed.