Brake Van Allocations

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

colinh58
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Brake Van Allocations

Post by colinh58 »

Wonder if anyone has information regarding whether pre-group brake vans were re-allocated between the various LNER areas?

Only photos I have seen which would suggest that they were show condemned vehicles after the war.

Also did brake vans work through on long distance trains, or were they changed along with locos at various stopping points?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Brake Van Allocations

Post by jwealleans »

I can answer the second question with some authority. I've recently read Mixed Traffic by a journalist called R. Barnard Way in 1937. He was clearly a railway enthusiast and managed to persuade both the LNER and LMS to allow him to travel of goods workings, including fish from Aberdeen and the Scotch Goods all the way to Niddrie and then on to Glasgow.

In each case the brake van (and Mr. Barnard Way) stayed with the train throughout the journey and only the guard changed - 5 times in the case of the Scotch Goods and almost as many for the fish.