K1 Tender

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

boeing757
NER J27 0-6-0

K1 Tender

Post by boeing757 »

Hi
I am currently isolated in Cyprus. I am trying to rebuild a damaged K1 kit in 7mm. My main issue is the tender. I know it’s a 4200g group standard but they seem to be anything but standard. What I need is a photo or drawing of the Loco end of the tender. There must be pix of (6)2005 around, I just can’t find them. Failing that a pic of the front of a Hornby OO K1 tender would be a start.
I also need a drawing of the Loco, I know isinglass do one but in the present circumstances I need an electronic scan.
Anyone able to assist? Happy to provide email address.
Stay safe,
Bob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: K1 Tender

Post by jwealleans »

http://www.ten.rhrp.org.uk/tens/TenderInfo.asp?Ref=245

Any good, Bob?

There's also a download link Brassmasters page for the Finney kit with drawings included.

HTH.
boeing757
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by boeing757 »

Hi Jonathan
Good to hear from you.
The photo and drawings match the tender on my B1 exactly; unfortunately the tender with my K1 and J39 are both different from it and not the same as each other! I’m finding the term Group Standard very confusing.
The answer I’m sure is a photo of 62005’s tender or as a poor substitute a pic of the Hornby model and trust their research.
So the original request for a photo and a scan of a drawing remains.
Best wishes
Bob
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

'Group Standard' as applied to tenders - my interpretation - means LNER construction to a general template, rather than 'standardised in every detail'.

The K1 took the same tender as the B1, save for the frame ends being straight rather than scalloped, otherwise as the Isinglass drawing states "identical with later B1 tenders".
boeing757
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by boeing757 »

OK, I think I’ve cracked it now. I found an image of the Hornby tender on the Yoo Choos site. It confirms that most of the details match my B1 tender except:
1.In stead of a pair of doors in the fwd bulkhead, there is a large cupboard and a further small one to its right.
2. Whereas my B1 has the fire irons on the right in holders and a cutout in the bulkhead, the Hornby has them in a tunnel on the opposite side.
There may be other differences which I haven’t noticed yet.
Why the tender I have is so far out I don’t know, the kit is a mystery but it has provision to build a K4 as well, perhaps the original builder confused the instructions which are missing.
Anyway, problem solved and now a bit wiser.
Thanks for the help.