Artillery on Lowmacs for Otterburn - more details sought

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

colin61
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Artillery on Lowmacs for Otterburn - more details sought

Post by colin61 »

So I plan to try and recreate in model form a train carrying 5.5" guns headed to/from Otterburn artillery ranges as shown in the attached picture (copyright unknown) . This was taken at Reedsmouth Junction on 14th August 1955 either going to, or from, Woodburn ( the nearest station to Otterburn ) for unloading/loading. The picture shows more than one type of Lowmac in use.

Wondering has anyone got other pictures of this kind of artillery traffic on Lowmacs? It must have been pretty common up there, probably until the Wansbeck line closed....

Would be good to know more detail on the types of Lowmac used, the workings, if the trains were split at Reedsmouth so they could be handled more easily at Woodburn etc. etc.

This is one of the very few pictures I have found so far of artillery being moved by train the UK and I am sure there must be more.
Attachments
J21 65103 on Garden Special on 14-8-55.jpg
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Artillery on Lowmacs for Otterburn - more details sought

Post by Hatfield Shed »

colin61 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:32 pm ...Would be good to know more detail on the types of Lowmac used...
As I think you have recognised, a scan along that train suggests probably four different designs; suggesting to me that the criteria were simply weight capacity and floor height for the load, and possibly whether or not continuous brakes were required. (As a relatively modest 6 ton load, I should expect any lowmac then in BR service would have been good for the weight capacity.)
Dixie
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Artillery on Lowmacs for Otterburn - more details sought

Post by Dixie »

Somewhat belatedly, I have just picked up your note re guns. I did have a print of the photo showing 5.5s but for the life me I cannot find it. I note you have a date as 1955 which I did not have. As an ex Gunner I cannot recall ever putting guns on trains. Almost invariable they were moved by road if it was a regular unit. If this went overseas then it would draw its guns from local sources. If it was a TA unit then it would either use pool guns already positioned at the range or more likely, would move its own guns by road. This I think would be the position from about 1960 onwards.
That said, it could be that the 5.5s were no longer required at Otterburn and were going into storage. All a bit vague and like you I would like to see photos of military traffic on rail.
I would very much welcome a copy of your photo to replace the one I cannot find.