Green Arrow Arrives on NYMR

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Flying Scotsman
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Green Arrow Arrives on NYMR

Post by Flying Scotsman »

Hello everyone,

I'd just like to mention Green Arrow has finally arrived on the North Yorkshire Moors railway, ( theirs a pacuture of her on the website). :D
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I posted the details on Thursday when it departed in steam from Newbridge on route to Grosmont towed by class 37
f4kphantom
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by f4kphantom »

Great stuff, hope to get to see her. It would be nice if it was allowed to fit a new moboblock, whilst being a great undertaking, it's the last of it's kind. We have plenty of offerings of other types.
My personal feeeling is that to fit a block cast and machined to the original drawings would not take away the originality of the loco. 4472 gets a fortune spent on it and was it any more important?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The NRM has a lot of locomotives that are potentially steamable. Even though its annual budget must be the envy of most (all?) other railway museums in the world, it can only ever keep a representative sample in steam. Green Arrow has had its time for now - others such as Oliver Cromwell are getting their chance.

Yes a new monobloc could be cast and bored. This is a big job using skills that will be hard to find. Even BR preferred to replace cast monoblocs with three separate castings. This was cheaper in the long run - but Green Arrow would no longer be original.

Green Arrow will probably be back eventually. Personally I'd like to see the GNR Atlantics, the D11, or even the D17 back in steam...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

Yes, Scotsman has lots spent on it, but it's Scotsman's turn now, Green Arrow needs to be in at the same time now, and scotsman is nearly a year over run, due to fire box problems, but is all sorted, and as soon as the boiler is ready, Scotsman will go to it, rather bring mohammed to Scotsman.
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)